Computerized Placement Test (CPT)
CPTs are used to determine readiness for college level courses in English, Reading, and Mathematics. Scores will ultimately match students with the appropriate UCO courses.
CPTs are composed of computer-adaptive assessments. This means that the sequence of test questions presented to each student and the questions themselves will vary because they are based on responses to prior test questions. A student retaking the same exam will almost always be given different questions.
There are two programs used for placement purposes: ACCUPLACER and ALEKS. ACCUPLACER is used to place students in the appropriate English and Reading courses. ALEKS is used for the purpose of Math placement. Placement study guides are available for both programs.
You may be required to take one or more placement exams if you are:
- An incoming freshmen with ACT scores 18 or lower in any or all of the subject areas of English, Reading or Mathematics. There is no placement exam for Science.
- An adult student over the age of 21 with no prior college credit and directed by Admissions or Advisement.
- A transfer student that has not fulfilled remediation requirements in English, Reading, or Mathematics.
- An incoming student that has ACT scores older than five years.
- An incoming student pursuing a degree in the fields of Engineering, Math, Chemistry, or Computer Science.
If you are unsure about whether or not you must take a placement exam, please contact UCO Admissions, 405-974-2727.
WARNING: If you have not completed an admission application and received a UCO Student ID number, you cannot take placement exams. If you are an active member of the US military or are a US veteran, please contact Veteran Student Support before completing an admission application.
Future Adult, Transfer, or Appeals students relying on placement scores for admissions purposes
Students that are required to take placement exams for admissions purposes must pass the ACCUPLACER English/Reading exams in order to be admitted.
Once admitted, you will need to return to complete your ALEKS Math placement exam. The reason for this is that you will need UCONNECT credentials in order to access the un-proctored exam, study modules, and official proctored exam, but you cannot be given credentials until you are admitted.
If you are not sure if this applies to you, please contact the UCO Office of Admissions, 405-974-2727.
The University of Central Oklahoma complies with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. Students with disabilities who need testing accommodations must make their request by contacting Disability Support Services (DSS) at (405)974-2516.
DSS is located in the Nigh University Center, Room 309. Once accommodations have been approved, you must contact Testing Services to make arrangements for testing.
Do not attempt to access study materials for ALEKS or register until you have spoken with Testing Services.
First time registration:
Click on the "Register" button and select “Computerized Placement Test (CPT)” from the “Choose a group” menu. Select "Computerized Placement Test (CPT) (1st Attempt Free)" from the “Choose an exam” menu. Follow the prompts to complete registration.
Please visit Placement Questions page in order to find out retest policies for placement exams before following the steps below:
- Click on the "Register" button and select “Computerized Placement Test” from the “Choose a group” menu. Select the appropriate exam or exams from the “Choose an exam” menu in order to complete registration.
- If you are retaking English/Reading you will need to select “RETEST ACCUPLACER”. If you are retaking Math, you will need to select “RETEST ALEKS” After submitting payment(s), please call us to schedule an appointment.
NOTICE: During certain times of the year we will not have testing sessions available for registration, but will instead have reserved times for walk-ins. To see these times, please click on the “Register” button and select “Computerized Placement Test (CPT)”. When the dialog box says “There are no open dates for the selected exam,” click “OK” and they will appear under “Exam Description.”
On Exam Day
- If taking ALEKS, be sure to know your UCONNECT username and password that you received in your admission letter email before you come in. If you do not remember, please contact the IT support desk or call (405)974-225
- The student must bring a valid photo ID (Driver’s License, Military ID, UCO ID, etc.).
- Bring money for the visitor parking lot. The kiosks accept credit/debit cards. If you bring cash, please be aware the machines do not distribute change.
- For students taking ALEKS, personal calculators are not allowed; however, there will be a calculator embedded within the exam. Please note, it will not be available on every question.
This list includes, but is not limited to, cell phones, purses, hats, watches, fitbits, glasses with built in electronics, or any other electronic devices. If the student arrives at the testing center possessing any of these items, they must store them in a locker provided by the test center.
Location: Room 319 (third floor), Thatcher Hall
For out-of-state students that are unable to take placement exams on campus, remote proctoring is available.