Study Tour Proposal Process
UCO Study Tours
A study tour is a credit-bearing course in which the majority of the academic work is accomplished through group study and travel outside the UCO campus. It provides a group of students with an applied, supervised experience at an off-campus location, whether foreign or domestic, for a minimum of two or more overnights, and enhances the student's classroom knowledge of an academic discipline(s) through first-hand exposure. Once on-site, travel during the study tour is an integral part of the learning process.
Study Tours are advertised electronically in the UCO Study Abroad Portal managed by the Director of Education Abroad in the Centre for Global Competency Room 137, first floor, Nigh University Center.
Study Tour Policy and Proposal Forms
Access all policy documents and required forms through Central Collaboration Spaces.
All Study Tour proposal packets must include:
- Request to Offer a Study Tour Course
- Study Tour Finance Form
- Course Syllabus
- Proposed flyers and program description for study abroad portal
- Faculty member completes required CaSTLE training prior to submitting a request to offer a study tour.
- The faculty member prepares the study tour proposal packet and submits the materials to the department chairperson/school director for review and approval.
- The department chairperson/school director submits the approved study tour proposal packet to the dean’s office for the review and approval by the dean or her/his delegate. Individual colleges may require additional review and approval, such as review by a college committee charged with this responsibility.
- The dean’s office will submit the approved study tour proposal packets to the director of education abroad for the initial review.
- The dean’s office will retain a print or electronic copy of the study tour proposal packet in its files.
- The director of education abroad will submit the reviewed study tour proposal packets to the associate vice president for Academic Affairs for final approval.
- The associate vice president for Academic Affairs will notify the participating faculty of the final approval of the study tour proposal.
- The Office of Academic Affairs will retain a print or electronic copy of the study tour proposal packet in its files.
- Once approved, the director of education abroad will publish the program information page in the UCO study abroad portal and update the required online application/forms.
- Upon final approval of the study tour proposal, the Office of Academic Affairs will create the study tour class in Banner and notify the participating faculty of the study tour’s addition to the class schedule.
- The Office of Academic Affairs will work with the study tour leaders to complete and process the required documentation to ensure the appropriate compensation of the study tour leaders.