Electronic Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations
The Association of Central Oklahoma Governments (ACOG) and the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) awarded the City of Edmond and the University of Central Oklahoma two grants totally $50,550 to install ten public and workplace charging stations for electronic vehicles.
UCO and the City of Edmond entered a partnership on these grants due to the common interest providing these amenities to the community and promoting sustainable initiatives. The EV stations are free to use and open to the public. A UCO permit is not required. Vehicles parked in an EV charging space must be actively charging. Vehicles that are not charging while parked in these spaces shall be subject to a citation.
Two of the charging stations will be located on Central's campus:
- Parking lot 16 on Chartrand Avenue and Ayers Street
- Parking lot 57 on Campbell Street and University Drive
Create a free ChargePoint account to use the stations. The available Android and iPhone apps can also help you find other EV stations, reserve a charge time, track your charging status, and more.Learn how to create a free ChargePoint account by following the steps listed at the ChargePoint website.
Starting a Charge
Usign the EV stations on the UCO campus is easy with the ChargePoint app or card.
- Tap your ChargePoint card or your phone (you must be signed in to the mobile app) on the ChargePoint station to start a charge. This will unlock the charging connector so you can remove it from the charging station. You can also tap the orange “Start Charge” button in the station details page in the mobile app.
- Push the button on the connector to lift it out of the holster on the station.
- Plug the connector into your EV to start charging. Check your EV’s indicator to make sure you are charging (often there are lights on the dashboard to show this).
- Relax and go about your day. You can track your charging in the app in you want. If you’ve enabled notifications, you will received a notification when you vehicle is done charging.
- When you get back to your vehicle, tap your card or phone and return the connector to the station.
Want to learn more about alternative fuels and fuel-saving strategies? Visit the U.S. Department of Energy's Alternative Fuel Data Center website here.