Central Cycle includes all of the bicycle programs and services offered by UCO Transportation and Parking Services as a means of promoting an active lifestyle and providing a means of alternative transportation to the UCO community.
UCO's bicycle rental program allows students, faculty, and staff to check out bikes free of charge for up to two weeks at a time. It's a great way to get around, get some exercise, and improve your health. It is also free with a UCO ID. We currently have a fleet of approximately 70 bicycles, in various styles.
To rent a bike, visit the TPS Office to complete a contract. Riders will also be provided a U-LOCK to secure the bike when not in use. Only the rider listed on the rental agreement may use it during the check-out period. Bicycles must be returned to the designated Bum-A-Bike racks at the end of the rental period.
All riders should know how to operate a bicycle and have knowledge of Oklahoma, Edmond, and UCO pedestrian and motor vehicle laws and ordinances.
Any damage incurred to the bicycle during the rental period is the financial responsibility of the rider. Lost or stolen bicycles must be reported to TPS immediately, and the rider will be responsible for the replacement cost.
If any updates are made to the contract, riders will be required to sign a new agreement with the updated terms and conditions.
For any bicycle not returned by the date specified on the rental agreement, a five-dollar late fee per business day will be charged.
There is no charge for bicycle permits. If only purchasing a bicycle permit, click “Pay Now” on the View Cart screen. Then on the Payment screen, click “Pay Now” again. Once registered, bicycle permits may be picked up from the TPS Office.
Benefits of Registering
By registering and putting a bicycle permit on a personal bicycle, the TPS office will be able to better assist riders in times of need. By having a registered permit displayed, TPS can determine the owner, which is helpful in recovering lost or stolen bikes. Registration is also beneficial if the owner forgets their bicycle lock combination or loses the key, as TPS is only able to cut off locks if ownership can be verified.
Five bicycle repair stations were installed on campus in 2017 in order to aid cyclists in their ability to keep their personal bicycles in working condition. These stations may be used for various maintenance and repairs, featuring multiple retractable tools as well as an air pump. There is no charge for use of these stations. Tools Provided
- Phillips and standard screwdrivers
- Steel core tire levers (2)
- Headset/pedal wrench
- 8/10mm cone wrench
- 9/11mm cone wrench
- Torx T-25
- Hex Key Set
- Integrated air pump with gauge
There are five bicycle repair stations currently located on campus
- Northeast side of Nigh University Center
- South side of Wellness Center, by the main entrance
- In the University Suites/Commons Courtyard
- Northwest side of West Hall
- West side of the Transformative Learning Quadrangle (The Quad)
- Know and obey bicycling laws, including stopping at stop signs and red lights.
- Wear helmets on every ride, as well as other safety gear as needed.
- Make themselves as visible as possible: bright-colored clothing, headlights and blinking taillights.
- Keep bike maintained and properly adjusted, checking bike prior to every ride.
- Consider route with safety in mind.
- Sufficiently prepare your body for the ride, drinking plenty of water.
(Adapted from okcbike.org)