Skip navigation

J-1 Scholar 


To be eligible for a J-1 visa you must meet the criteria below:

  • Not be a candidate for a tenure track position at UCO;
  • Not have participated in and completed a J-visa professor or research scholar program within the last 24 months preceding the beginning date of their new program’s commencement;
  • Not have participated in a J-visa program for all or part of the 12-month period immediately preceding the start date of a professor or research scholar program unless they meet one of the following exceptions:
    • The participant is currently in a professor or research scholar program and is transferring to another institution in the United States to continue their current J-1 program;
    • The participant’s prior physical presence in the U.S. on a J-visa program was less than six months in duration; and,
    • The prior participation was as a short-term scholar.



A research scholar (long-term scholar) is invited for long-term research and can stay for up to five years. If you're interested in inviting a research scholar, review the full list of regulations for research scholars.


A visiting professor may conduct research while in the U.S. but their primary responsibility is teaching or consulting at a post-secondary institution. They must stay for at least three weeks but can stay for a maximum of five years. If you're interested in inviting a professor, review the full list of regulations for visiting professors. 


The short-term scholar comes to the U.S. for research or to demonstrate a special skill and is restricted to only six months.  If you are interested in inviting a short-term researcher, review the full list of regulations from short-term scholars.

Inviting Scholars 

UCO has the ability to host visiting faculty and scholars from all over the world. Many foreign scholars come to UCO on a J-1 visa. To apply for a J-1 scholar visa sponsored by UCO, there are give basic steps:

  1. Identify the most appropriate J-1 category;
  2. Collect required support documentation;
  3. Complete online J-1 scholar application;
  4. Receive DS-2019 from the UCO Office of Global Affairs; and, 
  5. Apply for J-1 visa.

J-1 Scholar Invitation/Extension Application

 The following documents will need to be uploaded within the application:

  • A letter of invitation from the UCO assistant vice president for Global and Cultural Competencies- Letter should include the purpose of visit, timeline and UCO’s financial commitment;
  • A description of lecture(s) and/or presentations and other university business that will be conducted in conjunction with this trip (i.e. research, study tour, recruiting, etc.);
  • Letter from home university indicating job title, duties, financial commitment and timeline for visitor;
  • Proof of English proficiency (can be in the form of a letter from inviting faculty or English proficiency exams);
  • If not sponsored by UCO, include a bank statement and sponsorship documentation from the visitor’s sponsor;
  • Copy of visitor’s passport and any prior U.S. visas and those of dependents traveling with them - Copy of visitor’s birth certificate with the city of birth if this is not listed on the passport; and, 
  • Proof of health insurance coverage of a minimum of $100,000 including evacuation covered at a minimum of $50,000 and repatriation covered at a minimum of $25,000 (in USD and English).

start application

Visiting Faculty Scholar Visa Application 

After your application to become a UCO J-1 scholar is approved, the UCO Office of Global Affairs will mail you a U.S. government form called a DS-2019. Upon receipt of the DS-2019, take the following steps:

  1. Pay the I-901 Fee;
  2. Visit the website of the U.S. Embassy nearest you to find out visa application requirements and procedures;
  3. Complete the online non-immigrant visa electronic application (DS-160);
  4. Schedule an appointment for a visa interview;
  5. Collect all supporting documents for visa interview:
  • DS-2019
  • Passport
  • Proof of financial standing and proof of support from UCO, your home university or the government
  • SEVIS (I-901) fee receipt
  • Photos
  • Visa Application fee receipt
  • Visa application forms
  • Others as directed by the U.S. Department of State

For more questions, visit the U.S. Department of State website.

Pre-departure information, such as life in Edmond, the UCO campus, and the J-1 Scholar program.


The J-2 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by a consular official at a U.S. Embassy or consulate for spouses and dependents (unmarried children under the age of 21) of J-1 exchange visitors who accompany or later join the J-1 holder in the United States.  J-2 dependents are eligible to work in the United States once they have received approval from USCIS.  For more information on working in the United States please visit your ARO or RO to discuss these options.

Extension of Stay 

If your research and or goals in the United States have not been completed before the date of your DS-2019 expires, you can apply for an extension on your DS-2019.  For an extension, you must fill out the J-1 Scholar Extension Form.