Skip navigation

International Student Services

Immigration at UCO 

At the University of Central Oklahoma, there are three types of status offered:

  • F-1 Status;
  • J-1 Status; and, 
  • J-1 Visiting Faculty Scholar.

What is F-1 Status?

An F-1 status holder is a non-immigrant allowed to remain in the U.S. for as long as they are a full-time student (enrolled in at least 12 credits per semester) and are making progress toward a degree at the school they are approved to attend.

What is J-1 Status?

A J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa issued by the United States that allows foreign students to study at American colleges and universities. Students who participate in the J-1 program must pursue a full-time course of study and must maintain good academic standing. During the school semesters, undergraduate J-1 students must be enrolled in 12 hours, graduate students must be enrolled in nine hours. J-1 Exchange students can come to the United States to get a degree or come strictly for a short-term culture experience of one semester to a year.

What is J-1 Visiting Faculty Scholar Status?

A J-1 visiting faculty scholar is a visiting researcher, professor or specialist from a country outside of the United States who has been approved to enter the United States for a specific purpose and for a limited amount of time.  The program  is administered by the U.S. Department of State (DOS) for the express purpose of promoting an international educational exchange of expertise and stimulating collaborative teaching and research efforts.  

Differences Between F-1 and J-1 Status

There are two types of entry visas issued to non-immigrant students who intend to study full time at UCO – the F-1 student visa and the J-1 exchange visitor student category visa. A student’s accompanying spouse and children are given an F-2 or J-2 visa.