Metadata and Cataloging Micro-credential
Earners of this badge have a working knowledge and experience in library cataloging and metadata work gained through a semester-long internship with UCO Max Chamber's Library Metadata and Cataloging department. A foundational knowledge in working with bibliographic data is essential for graduate students planning for a career as a professional metadata or cataloging librarian. This internship is designed to familiarize students with concepts and tools relating to cataloging and provide real-world, hands-on experiences in creating and editing bibliographic metadata.
What can you do with this micro-credential?
- Learn foundations of copy cataloging.
- Recognize unique qualities of different catalog resources.
- Use software (e.g. Excel) to identify and edit metadata for remediation in online repository.
- Use library software (e.g. Alma, OLCL Connexion) to create and edit bibliographic records.
- Apply controlled vocabularies (e.g. LCSH, FAST headings) accurately to bibliographic records.
- Perform complex copy and derived cataloging.
- OU SLIS students enrolled in the MLIS program, other graduate students in library and information science.
• In person.
• Once per semester (summer internship begins April 1, fall internship begins July 30 and spring internship begins Nov. 15).
- Those interested must be enrolled in a MLIS internship course (such as OU's LIS 5824) and must apply on the library's website under Internship Opportunities.
- The micro-credential fee is sponsored by the UCO Max Chambers Library at no cost to participants.
What is a micro-credential?
Micro-credentials provide new opportunities to demonstrate specific knowledge, skills and abilities in ways that create a more complete picture of your capabilities. Upon successful completion and verification of the micro-credential requirements, you will be issued a digital badge that can be displayed and verified online, such as on resumes or professional social media profiles. Digital micro-credentials can provide another way to demonstrate your achievement of competencies and allows you to clearly communicate your capabilities to others.