Global Competency Micro-credential
Earners of the Global Competency badge have completed UCO's Sociology 4970/5970 Intercultural Competency Abroad course. This course utilizes the AFS Global and Cultural Competency Certification program and the Intercultural Development Inventory to help students grow in their intercultural competency. Students taking this course spent time abroad and completed a series of modules and an intercultural development plan further developing their ability to engage in a multicultural society.
What will you be able to do with this micro-credential?
- Explain the basic tenets of culture and intercultural competency;
- Develop life skills through travel, such as communication, empathy and resilience;
- Apply the cross-cultural concepts to their own lives and experiences;
- Evaluate how cultural competency can shape one's position in society; and,
- Reflect upon experience abroad to analyze their ability to interact with cultural experiences outside their own culture.
- UCO students of sophomore standing or above
- Each summer
- Those interested must be enrolled as a student in UCO’s SOC 4970/5970 academic course. Registration for this micro-credential is included in the course enrollment.
- The micro-credential is included in the price of the SOC 4970/5970 Intercultural Competency academic course tuition and fees.
What is a micro-credential?
Micro-credentials provide new opportunities to demonstrate specific knowledge, skills and abilities in ways that create a more complete picture of your capabilities. Upon successful completion and verification of the micro-credential requirements, you will be issued a digital badge that can be displayed and verified online, such as on resumes or professional social media profiles. Digital micro-credentials can provide another way to demonstrate your achievement of competencies and allows you to clearly communicate your capabilities to others.