Master of Science in Finance
Earn Your MSF from UCO
The UCO Master of Science in finance (MSF) is an AACSB-accredited, 32-hour STEM program that will provide a platform for you to develop as a financial expert. Empowering you with the skills to identify value creation opportunities, assess risks and ask critical financial questions. Students have the option to choose between two course tracks, financial analyst and financial planning.
Students in this program, offered through the University of Central Oklahoma College of Business, will have the opportunity to gain real-world experience by participating in the student-run investment fund. Students will have access to the College of Business Bloomberg Finance Lab, which is equipped with 10 of the latest Bloomberg Terminals that provide up-to-date access to the Bloomberg Professional financial data system.
Students in the MSF program will receive first-hand knowledge from faculty that have more than 20 years of experience as professional analysts. UCO's College of Business faculty are committed to theoretical and practical student experiences and will provide you with transformative opportunities.
Why earn an MSF from UCO?
Today's global financial markets require financial planners and analysts to understand and use the latest theory and technology to make informed financial decisions for companies, investors and financial institutions. Through the UCO MSF program, an emphasis is placed on a solid understanding of finance theory to real-world problems in order to prepare you for the financial, managerial and global economic challenges. You'll be transformed into a trusted professional who understands the technical concepts of financial management and investments.
Courses You'll Take
The MSF program is a STEM-designated program at UCO and covers experiences from financial accounting and statistics to international markets and monetary policy.
The UCO MSF program provides two tracks to prepare students for careers as financial analysts or financial planners.
- The financial analyst track is designed to prepare you for the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) exam, one of the highest distinctions in the investment management profession.
- The financial planning track will provide you with certified courses that allow you to take the Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) exam, which tests your ability to apply financial planning knowledge to real-life situations.
MFA Program Courses Include
- Managerial statistics or foundations of accounting
- Corporate finance
- Derivatives and risk management
- Advanced financial modeling
- Advanced financial institutions
- Advanced international finance
- Portfolio management or advanced case studies in financial planning
Requirements for Admission
- Completed the application for graduate admission
- Competitive GMAT/GRE score
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree from an appropriately accredited institution, with an overall GPA of 2.75* or above
- Official copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts from each appropriately accredited institution attended with all degrees posted
- Two completed recommended forms or letters of recommendation from former instructors, employers or other professionals
- Current resume**
- Letter of application expressing interest in the program and providing any additional information you believe will be helpful for admission decisions
- Evidence of English language proficiency, if not a native speaker
*Students with a GPA not meeting these requirements may be granted provisional admission but must complete six hours in graduate MSF course with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
**The MSF admissions committee recommends applicants have one to two years of industry experience, although not required.
Application Deadlines for Fall
- July 15 (Domestic students)
Application Deadlines for Spring
- Nov. 15
International Student Application Deadline
- Fall – June 15
- Spring – Oct. 15
The UCO MSF program is designed to provide you with a deep, practical understanding of finance. You’ll learn how to practice and apply critical-thinking skills in a broad business context and in portfolio management. Graduates of this program pursue various careers such as:
- Loan officers;
- Financial analysts;
- Credit analysts; and,
- Certified financial planners.
As a UCO MSF graduate, you will gain specialized knowledge and skills such as:
- Creating, writing and presenting finance proposals based on the analysis of real-world financial data;
- Understanding the operation of financial markets and institutions and the roles played by businesses and individuals; and,
- Using financial modeling techniques to reach financial decisions by using real data.
This program is categorized as a STEM- (science, technology, engineering and math) designated degree program per federal government categories (USCIS STEM). The degrees enumerated in the expanded STEM-designation list qualify for a 24-month optional practical training (OPT) extension for F-1 nonimmigrant students (USCIS F1).
Connect with UCO MSF
FACULTY FOCUSED ON YOUR LEARNING
Allen Arnold, Ph.D.
Steve Black, Ph.D.
Cindi Cary, Ph.D.
Julie Cumbie, Ph.D.
Darrell Ford, J.D.
Syed Kamal, Ph.D.
William Pratt, Ph.D.
Mark Reavis, Ph.D.