Master of Science in Nursing
The Master of Science in Nursing degree will help to provide for the increasing global need of health care practitioners with expanded nursing knowledge. The degree is available to students who have completed a traditional baccalaureate degree in nursing and to Career Advancement students who have an associate degree in nursing who would like to pursue a master's degree.
Courses You'll Take
Nursing graduate students have the ability to choose from two tracks, the nursing education track or the specialty nursing track. A master's degree in nursing education will prepare students for academic positions in nursing education or for a position in hospital staff education. The specialty nursing track allows students to meet individual goals in areas such as leadership or administration.
- Online application for admission.
- Official copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts from each institution attended with all degrees posted. All transcripts must be from accredited institutions. Application materials and undergraduate transcripts must show:
- A minimum 3.00 GPA overall or 3.00 GPA in the last 60 hours attempted.
- Baccalaureate degree with a major in nursing from a program that has received nursing accreditation from an agency approved by the Department of Education or its equivalent with at least a 3.00 GPA.
- Preference will be given to individuals with a current unrestricted license to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of Oklahoma. Conditional admission will be considered for individuals in the process of obtaining licensure.
- Complete an undergraduate or graduate course in statistics.
- A written statement of purpose describing the applicant’s plans and rationale for graduate study at UCO.
- Application may be made for conditional admission by students having an overall undergraduate GPA of at least 2.50 or at least 2.25 with five years having passed since the date of the first bachelor’s degree.
- Formal approval by the selection committee is required for admission.
Review the nursing degree sheet for additional requirements that may not be listed above.