Consistent with revised CDC guidance, vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals are recommended to wear a mask when in public indoor spaces where COVID-19 virus transmission is considered substantial or high.
COVID-19 Resources: COVID-19 Testing | Report Positive Test, Symptoms, or Direct Exposure | Vaccine Information | COVID-19 Website
Master of Arts in Composition and Rhetoric
The master’s degree in composition and rhetoric provides focused study in composition pedagogy, the history of rhetoric, and composition and rhetorical theory. The program also prepares students for post-secondary teaching and doctoral-level research in these fields.
Courses You'll Take
Students pursuing this degree will complete 33 hours: nine hours of theory and research, 12 hours of required courses, nine hours of electives, and a three-hour capstone experience. The capstone experience will consist of either a portfolio or thesis.
Requirements for Admission
- Online application for admission
- Official copies of undergraduate and graduate transcripts from each institution attended with all degrees posted. All transcripts must be from accredited institutions.
- Transcripts must show
- A minimum 3.0 undergraduate GPA (overall) or 3.0 undergraduate GPA (last 60 hours completed); and, 18 hours of English (3000- or above) with a 3.0 GPA.
- Students may gain conditional admission by achieving a score of 150 (verbal) and 4.5 (analytical writing) on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
- Students with a native language other than English must submit evidence of English language proficiency.
*Students falling below these standards may qualify for conditional admission.
Composition and Rhetoric graduates go on to pursue careers in a wide range of fields, including:
- Corporate Communications
- Editing and Publishing
- Grant Writing
- Human Resources
- Library and Information Sciences
- Professional and Technical Writing
- Project Management
- Public Relations
Take advantage of these opportunities in the metro which may spark your interest and even boost your resume.