Master of Science in Family and Child Studies – Family Life Educator
The Master of Science in Family and Child Studies prepares students to apply for the Family Life Educator credential from the National Council on Family Relations. The Certified Child and Parenting Specialist credential is also available to graduates who successfully complete a required examination and internship. The FCS - Family Life Educator Program has national academic program approval from the National Council on Family Relations.
Student Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate the skills to work with diverse populations.
- Serve individuals and families throughout the life span in education, prevention and intervention programs.
- Apply knowledge of family life education research to serve the community.
- Evaluate programs for the development and maintenance of interpersonal and social relationships.
- Identify legal issues, policies and laws adequately to advocate for the wellbeing of families.
- Relate ethical conduct in a professional setting.
- Apply effective communication skills to work with individuals and families.
Community & Student Organizations
- Oklahoma Child Care Resources & Referral Association
- Oklahoma Counseling Association
- Central Council on Family Relations
- UCO Early Childhood Association
- School Age Program Director
- Director of Child Care Center
- Head Start Administrator
- Child Development Specialist
- Parent Educator
UCO Child Study Center
The UCO Child Study Center, a half-day classroom for young children located in the HES building, provides Family Life Education students with the opportunity for hands-on learning experiences and research on campus. All students in this program are required to complete both internship and practicum hours.