Master of Education in Secondary Education
The Secondary Education major is designed for professional educators who seek a broader cultural and professional learning experience than is possible on the undergraduate level. Students will receive enhanced knowledge of content-areas and specific pedagogical techniques and skills which will be required in professional work.
This program accommodates both traditionally trained and certified teachers with undergraduate education degrees and others holding bachelor’s degrees and seeking alternative certification.
Student Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate professionalism through collaboration, clear communication, advocacy, ethical behavior, and professional development activities.
- Demonstrate the pedagogical skills of authoritative classroom management and responsive interpersonal skills.
- Apply content knowledge to the teaching of diverse adolescents.
- Apply effective instructional and assessment strategies to the teaching of diverse adolescents.
- Integrate pedagogical and content area expertise through an approved research experience that extends the professional knowledge base.
Alternative Teaching Certification
The Teacher Path provides a pathway to degree completion specifically designed for those pursuing or completing requirements for alternative teacher certification in Oklahoma. We offer four courses providing fundamental and practical tools for immediate use in secondary classrooms. These courses also prepare you for the Oklahoma Professional Teacher Exam (OPTE) or the Praxis Performance Assessment for Teachers (PPAT).
Graduates from this program have found employment with many of the school districts in the metropolitan area including Edmond, Guthrie, Mid-Del, Moore, Norman, Putnam City and Oklahoma City public schools. This degree allows for opportunities to teach in a middle school or high school setting