Master of Education in Bilingual Education
The Master of Education in Bilingual Education/Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) major is designed to prepare teachers to work with the ever increasing number of non- and limited English proficient students in Oklahoma's schools. The program provides already-certified teachers the training to better assist K-12 English language learners who are struggling to survive and succeed academically. The program provides students with the foundations of research, language acquisition theory, and history and philosophy, as well as current instructional and assessment practices, and grounding in English language structure and usage.
Student Learning Objectives
Specific program objectives focus on developing the knowledge, skills and dispositions for professionals in the fields of Bilingual Education and /or Teacher of English to Speakers of Other Languages. They include the following:
- Apply knowledge of the processes of language acquisition and bilingualism to the development of classroom instructional activities
- Incorporate a variety of developmentally appropriate methods, techniques, and educational technology, into oral and written language development and across the curriculum
- Infuse into the curriculum an appreciation for cultural diversity and awareness of the influences of cultural background and experience in the educational process
- Develop and implement strategies to promote effective parental and community involvement in the schooling process
- Identify limited English proficient students and monitor their language and academic needs by developing, administering, and/or interpreting appropriate assessment
- Diagnose and prescribe individualized instruction and mainstreaming techniques that reflect an understanding of diverse learning styles.
- Demonstrate classroom management techniques for various types of program models in bilingual and multilingual settings and the visual arts as primary media for communication, inquiry, and engagement among elementary students.
Bilingual/Multicultural Education Credential Program
This program allows students to complete the 26-hour course requirements of UCO's state-approved program for a teaching credential designation in Bilingual/Multicultural Education and/or English as a Second Language (non-testing endorsements) and apply them toward the 34-hour degree requirements. Students not holding Oklahoma teaching certification, but otherwise eligible for admission, will be required to complete other prerequisites.