Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Pre-K-6 (Curriculum and Instruction)
The Teaching and Learning in Pre-K-6 certificate at the University of Central Oklahoma is a great option for career changers who want to become teachers of preschool through sixth grade students. The program will provide you with the knowledge and skills necessary to effectively teach in these grade levels. This certificate is different from the Oklahoma Teacher Certificate. Students who are seeking their teacher certificate should contact the Oklahoma Office of Teacher Certification first to determine specific requirements.
The program is designed for those who already have a bachelor’s degree but have not completed a comprehensive teacher preparation program. This certificate requires 18 credit hours in coursework, which is less than the 33 credit hours required for the Curriculum and Instruction Teaching & Learning Pre-K-6 (M.Ed.).
This certificate is designed for UCO students and is embedded as part of the Master of Education in Curriculum and Instruction in Pre-K-6. UCO graduates of the College of Education and Professional Studies are also encouraged to apply for this certificate.
Courses You'll Take
This certificate provides students with 18 credit hours in the coursework listed below to complete academic requirements for early childhood or elementary teacher certification in Oklahoma.
- Pedagogical theories, practices and child development
- Instructional design and assessment
- Classroom interaction and discussion
- Principles and methods of teaching English learners
- Reading pedagogy for pre-kindergarten to grade 6
- Math pedagogy for pre-kindergarten to grade 6
Teacher Path Courses
Are you interested in teaching pre-K-6th grade?
The UCO Teacher Path program provides personalized resources to help you accomplish the next steps in your teaching career. This program serves as a guided pathway for those seeking an alternative pathway for early childhood and elementary certification. These classes are major classes in the Master of Education in Teaching and Learning in Pre-K-6 (Curriculum and Instruction).
Student Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate foundational knowledge of curriculum theories and instructional design to support planning and teaching.
- Apply pedagogical knowledge and skills to effectively teach core subjects, such as math and reading, to all learners, including non-native English speakers.
- Use the assessment cycle to plan, design, and implement appropriate learning activities based on effective instructional strategies.
- Utilize appropriate guidance and classroom management to support interactions between and among pre-K-6 students, teachers, and families.
- Public Early Childhood or Elementary School Teacher
- Private Early Childhood or Elementary School Teacher
Community & Student Organizations
- Central Association for Responsive Educators (CARE)
- Kappa Delta Pi Honor Society
- Association for Childhood Education International (ACEI)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- Teachers of English to Students of Other Languages (TESOL)
- Oklahoma Education Association (OEA)