History - Museum Studies
The Museum Studies major provides training to students interested in pursuing careers in museums, historical agencies, archives, national parks and related institutions. View a list of scholarships in this department.
Heidi Vaughn is the internship coordinator and academic supervisor for Museum Studies internships. Please refer to the UCO Museum Studies Internship Guide for information regarding the enrollment process.
The core curriculum for Museum Studies consists of twelve credit hours, which includes course work and six hours of internship.
- Requires permission from internship coordinator
- Students seeking internships must have junior, senior or graduate level standing and have completed HIST 4613/5523 Museum Management
Future Museum Professionals Organization
UCO's Future Museum Professionals Organization consists of undergraduate or graduate students wanting to partake in professional development, networking and volunteering with museums, historical societies, historic sites, zoos and botanical gardens, historic houses, living history museums, tribal cultural centers and other museum-related institutions.
Museum Studies majors have a variety of career opportunities, including:
- History museums and historical sites
- Historical associations and societies
- Cultural heritage organizations
- Historical projects