English - Creative Writing
The mission of the Department of English is to provide transformative learning experiences in the multiple fields that comprise English studies. To fulfill this mission, faculty teach students to read and think critically about texts, to write effectively and creatively for multiple audiences and in multiple contexts and to apply best practices when teaching English in secondary and post-secondary settings. The Creative Writing program prepares English graduates to be productive, creative, ethical and engaged citizens and to contribute to the intellectual, cultural, economic and social advancement of our local and global communities.
To see the classes that make up the Creative Writing curriculum, check out the degree sheet.
Several student organizations help to support and develop English-Creative Writing students throughout their time at Central, including English Society, Language Society, Golden Pony Writers’ Guild, and Sigma Tau Delta: The International English Honor Society.
English-Creative Writing majors go on to pursue careers in a wide range of fields, including:
- Editing and Publishing
- Grant Writing
- Human Resources
- Library and Information Sciences
- Nonprofit and Arts Management
- Online and Print Journalism
- Public Relations
- Writing, in Multiple Genres
Take advantage of these opportunities in the metro which may spark your interest and even boost your resume.
- Oklahoma Arts Council: to learn more about upcoming events.
- Oklahoma Magazine: to explore literature written in Oklahoma.
- Oklahoma Writers’ Federation: to learn more about the creative writing community in our state.