Criminal Justice - Police
The UCO School of Criminal Justice is one of the oldest criminal justice programs in Oklahoma. We are committed to turning academic excellence into professional competence and helping our students become the leaders of tomorrow’s criminal justice system. The School is highly respected and has a diverse faculty with exceptional academic credentials and professional experience in law, research, working with serial offenders, cybercrime, white-collar crime, community policing, and corrections.
The undergraduate Criminal Justice-Police major at the University of Central Oklahoma is for students who want to obtain employment in law enforcement as a sworn officer or civilian employee. View a list of scholarships in this department.
Student Learning Objectives
Criminal Justice - Police Majors will be able to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively to an audience of their peers
- Demonstrate depth of knowledge and skills related to the issues impacting police in today’s society
- Communicate clearly and effectively in their writing
- Engage in research opportunities and increase abilities to solve problems creatively
- Ethically synthesize and properly document source material according to the American Psychological Association (APA) citation standards
The School of Criminal Justice has two student organizations – the Criminal Justice Club and Alpha Phi Sigma, the Criminal Justice Honor Society. Both organizations help to support Criminal Justice students during their time in the program.
There are various career opportunities available for Criminal Justice - Police majors, including:
- Local/State Law Enforcement Officer
- Municipal Police Officer, County Sheriff, Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
- Federal Law Enforcement Officer
- ATF, CBP, DEA, FBI, Marshals, Secret Service
- Crime Scene Technician (sworn officer/civilian position)
- Fish & Game Warden/US Wildlife Officer
- Agricultural Investigator
- US Postal Inspector
- Medical Examiner Investigator
- Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement (ABLE) Commission Agent
View a career guide for Criminal Justice - Police majors.
Looking for an internship or a volunteer opportunity? Check here:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation-Honors Internship Program
- The U.S. Secret Service, OKC Field Office
- Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
- Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs
- For a more extensive listing of internship options at all levels of government, contact the School of Criminal Justice.