Criminal Justice - General
The UCO School of Criminal Justice is one of the oldest criminal justice programs in Oklahoma. We are committed to turning academic excellence into professional competence and helping our students become the leaders of tomorrow’s criminal justice system. The School is highly respected and has a diverse faculty with exceptional academic credentials and professional experience in law, research, working with serial offenders, cybercrime, white-collar crime, community policing, and corrections. The undergraduate Criminal Justice program at the University of Central Oklahoma is for those who want to obtain employment in the criminal justice system.
To help your education and career goals become a reality, the School of Criminal Justice offers scholarships and tuition waivers. View a list of scholarships in this department.
- The Criminal Justice-General curriculum will prepare you for a wide range of careers in the field of criminal justice.
- Many of our courses have a practical/experiential component where you will complete tasks similar to criminal justice practitioners (e.g. photograph mock crime scenes, interview witnesses, conduct a safety audit, etc.).
- The coursework equips you to succeed in an ever changing and sometimes volatile environment.
- Upon graduation, you will demonstrate a depth of knowledge and skills related to the processes and issues in the criminal justice field. You will also be able to communicate clearly and effectively with others.
The School of Criminal Justice has two student organizations – the Criminal Justice Club and Alpha Phi Sigma, the Criminal Justice Honor Society. Both organizations help to support Criminal Justice students during their time in the program.
There are various career opportunities available for Criminal Justice majors, including:
- Law Enforcement Officer
- Crime Scene Technician
- Corporate Security
- Corrections/Probation Officer
- Case Manager/Treatment Specialist
- Victim Advocate
View a career guide for Criminal Justice majors.
Plenty of volunteer and internship opportunities are available in the Criminal Justice field. Here are some options:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation-Honors Internship Program: https://www.fbijobs.gov/students/undergrad
- The U.S. Secret Service, OKC Field Office: https://www.secretservice.gov/join/careers/
- Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation:http://www.ok.gov/osbi/
- YWCA: http://www.ywcaokc.org/
- For a more extensive listing of internship options at all levels of government, visit our website.