Criminal Justice - General
The UCO School of Criminal Justice is one of the oldest criminal justice programs in Oklahoma. Here at the School of Criminal Justice, we are committed to turning academic excellence into professional competence and helping our students become the leaders of tomorrow’s criminal justice system. The School is highly respected and has a diverse faculty with exceptional academic credentials and professional experience in law, research, working with serial offenders, cybercrime, white-collar crime, community policing, and corrections.
The undergraduate Criminal Justice program at the University of Central Oklahoma is for those who want to obtain employment in the criminal justice system. To help your education and career goals become a reality, the School of Criminal Justice offers scholarships and tuition waivers.
Student Learning Objectives
Criminal Justice - General Majors will be able to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively to an audience of their peers
- Demonstrate depth of knowledge and skills related to the processes and issues in criminal justice
- Communicate clearly and effectively in their writing
- Engage in research opportunities
- Ethically synthesize and properly document source material according to the American Psychological Association (APA) citation standards
The School of Criminal Justice has two student organizations and a living learning community (LLC).
UCO Criminal Justice Club
The Criminal Justice Club meets every other week during the academic semester for networking and learning. Practitioners from the field come to campus and visit with the club members at the meetings.
Eta Tau is UCO’s Chapter of Alpha Phi Sigma. Alpha Phi Sigma is the National Criminal Justice Honor Society. Once you’ve completed four (4) criminal justice courses and have reached a certain GPA, you can apply for membership in the honor society. Membership applications are accepted each fall and spring semesters. Announcements are shared on the School of Criminal Justice’s social media pages. You may also contact the School of Criminal Justice for more information.
CJ Living Learning Community
Students majoring in criminal justice (corrections, general, and police) can choose to live with and near other criminal justice majors on campus as part of a LLC. Members of the LLC take a course together and have the opportunity to participate in special tours, field trips, and other educational experiences outside of the classroom.
There are various career opportunities available for Criminal Justice majors, including:
- Law Enforcement Officer
- Crime Scene Technician
- Corporate Security
- Corrections/Probation Officer
- Case Manager/Treatment Specialist
- Victim Advocate
Plenty of volunteer and internship opportunities are available in the Criminal Justice field. Here are some options:
- Federal Bureau of Investigation-Honors Internship Program
- The U.S. Secret Service, OKC Field Office
- Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation
- Contact the School of Criminal Justice for more opportunities