Criminal Justice - Corrections
The UCO School of Criminal Justice is one of the oldest criminal justice programs in Oklahoma. We are truly committed to turning academic excellence into professional competence and helping our students become the leaders of tomorrow’s criminal justice system. The School is highly respected and has a diverse faculty with exceptional academic credentials and professional experience in law, research, working with serial offenders, cybercrime, white-collar crime, community policing, and corrections.
The undergraduate Criminal Justice-Corrections major at the University of Central Oklahoma is for those who want to obtain employment in the field of Corrections. View a list of scholarships in this department.
Student Learning Objectives
Criminal Justice - Corrections Majors will be able to:
- Communicate clearly and effectively to an audience of their peers
- Demonstrate depth of knowledge and skills related to the processes and issues in the correctional system
- Communicate clearly and effectively in their writing
- Engage in research opportunities
- Ethically synthesize and properly document source material according to the American Psychological Association (APA) citation standards
The School of Criminal Justice has two student organizations – the Criminal Justice Club and Alpha Phi Sigma, the Criminal Justice Honor Society. Both organizations help to support Criminal Justice students during their time in the program.
There are various career opportunities available for Criminal Justice-Corrections majors, including:
- Corrections Officer (local, county, state, federal)
- Case Manager/Treatment Specialist
- Gang Investigator
- Mental Health Worker/Clinician
- Reentry Specialist
- Intelligence Analyst
- Prison Warden/Jail Administrator
- Juvenile Probation Officer
- State/Federal Probation Officer
View a career guide for Criminal Justice-Corrections majors.
Volunteer and internship opportunities are available in the Criminal Justice field. Here are some options that you might find interesting: