Special Education - Severe-Profound/Multiple Disabilities
Special Education is a challenging and rewarding career for anyone who is willing to work hard and wants to make a difference in the lives of others. The faculty and staff in the Special Education Program take pride in offering excellent, student-centered programs that are fully accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) using the standards of the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).
The mission of the Special Education program is to prepare highly skilled teachers as well as to provide leadership to the field of Special Education at local, state, national and international levels for the purpose of assisting individuals with disabilities in acquiring greater independence in an increasingly diverse and technological, global community. The Special Education program is committed to the preparation of personnel who celebrate and foster inclusion, diversity and multiculturalism.
Student Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate understanding of how exceptionalities may interact with development and learning and use this knowledge to provide meaningful and challenging learning experiences for individuals with exceptionalities.
- Create safe, inclusive, culturally responsive learning environments so that individuals with exceptionalities become active and effective learners and develop emotional well- being, positive social interactions, and self-determination.
- Use knowledge of specialized curriculum to individualize learning for individuals with exceptionalities.
- Utilize multiple methods of assessment and data-sources in making educational decisions.
- Select, adapt and use a repertoire of evidence-based instructional strategies to advance the learning of individuals with exceptionalities.
- Apply foundational knowledge of the field and their professional Ethical Principles and Practice Standards to inform special education practice and to engage in lifelong learning.
- Collaborate with families, other educators, related service providers, individuals with exceptionalities and personnel from community agencies in culturally responsive ways to address the needs of individuals with exceptionalities across a range of experiences
- Teach students with severe-profound disabilities in public and private schools
- Serve as a special education consultant
- Serve as a special education lobbyist
- Serve in special education administrative capacity (e.g. supervisor, trainer)
- Private tutoring or school
- National Association of Special Education Teachers
- Oklahoma Counseling Association
- Learning Disabilities Association of America