Designed as a liberal arts degree, this program functions as a pre-professional degree that prepares students to pursue a graduate education in psychology or related fields. Like any liberal arts degree it is also designed to provide a variety of experiences for a well-rounded education. Graduates receive foundational education in statistical design, experimental psychology, physiology, learning and history.
Student Learning Objectives
- Define and describe current psychological terminology and reference related studies.
- Identify three or more current jobs of interest in the field of psychology and match to skills, abilities, and interests.
- Describe the role of the individual in society and the effects of social interactions on individual behavior.
- Demonstrate effective written communication skills.
- Compute descriptive, inferential, parametric and non-parametric statistical techniques for psychological research.
- Describe the social, emotional, physical and cognitive aspects of human development throughout the lifespan.
- Describe how sensation, perception and action influence relationship to the world.
- Utilize advanced statistical packages for social sciences to analyze experimental effects.
- Describe the brain-behavior relationship.
- Describe motivation and emotion processes and their application to daily life and research.
- Describe modern methods of diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of major neuroses and psychoses.
- Describe major principles of learning and their applicability to major areas of psychology.
- Describe the historical framework of systems of psychology by demonstrating effective research and written language skills.
Career opportunities for Psychology include:
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation
- Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigations
- Case management
Student and Professional Organizations
Take advantage of these opportunities in the metro which may spark your interest and even boost your resume.
- Psi Chi – National Honor Society in Psychology
- Oklahoma Academy of Science
- Oklahoma Psychological Association
- National Association of School Psychologists
- Southwestern Psychological Association
- Association of Psychological Science
- American Psychological Association