Kinesiology - Exercise/Fitness Management
Exercise/Fitness Management prepares professionals to promote and manage positive, healthful lifestyles in others. It is designed to provide to the corporate, industrial, recreational, educational and medical settings trained personnel who are capable of conducting adult fitness assessments and developing physical training programs that involve exercise and physical activity. This major is interdisciplinary and includes courses from chemistry, computer science, management, recreation, as well as from health and physical education.
As wellness and health maintenance programs develop in hospitals, corporations, universities, and other agencies, the demand will grow for qualified leaders and directors. The corporate world has noted that fitness programs produce an upswing in employee productivity, improves the quality of daily living and often results in substantial financial savings for employees. In meeting these ever-changing demands, the Exercise and Fitness Management program continually strives to provide the curriculum and experiences to enable students to serve in such leadership positions.
Students who successfully complete the program will be able to:
- Identify and explain the body’s physiological response to exercise and adaptations resulting from exercise training
- Mechanically analyze a movement skill and make recommendations to maintain or improve performance
- Develop and teach an exercise session (e.g., warm-up, cardiorespiratory, muscular strength/endurance, cool down & flexibility)
- Assess health-related fitness components (e.g., cardiorespiratory, muscular strength/endurance, flexibility & body comp)
- Assess skill-related performance components (e.g., balance, coordination, speed, agility and power)
- Create and implement appropriate exercise prescriptions for apparently healthy adults
- Create and implement appropriate exercise prescriptions for special populations
- Design exercise programming and develop plans to promote, implement, monitor and evaluate the programs designed
- Design budgets, job descriptions/postings and bid specifications for program administration
Majors in the Kinesiology Exercise/Fitness Management program are accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for the Exercise Sciences, part of the Commission Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. This accreditation is renewed every year. The accreditation process helps ensure students receive an educational experience based on the standards of the field.
After taking the required pre-kinesiology courses, students must apply for the Exercise & Fitness Management program. Candidates must have a minimum GPA of 2.5. To apply, students must complete the application on or before the last Friday of January for fall admission and the second Friday of September for spring admission. Students will be notified eight to ten weeks after the filing date as to the disposition of the application.
To apply for admission to the Exercise & Fitness Management program - candidates must complete the following steps:
- Complete online application to the program - Application Form
- Submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended to the KHS office in Wantland Hall 102.
Kinesiology - Exercise and Fitness Management career opportunities include:
- Exercise physiology
- Personal training
- Performance enhancement and management
- Strength and conditioning coaching
- Group fitness instruction
- Health club or fitness center management