Kinesiology - Exercise/Fitness Management
Exercise/Fitness Management prepares professionals to promote and manage positive, healthful lifestyles in others. It is designed to provide to the corporate, industrial, recreational, educational and medical settings trained personnel who are capable of conducting adult fitness assessments and developing physical training programs that involve exercise and physical activity. This major is interdisciplinary and includes courses from chemistry, computer science, management, recreation, as well as from health and physical education.
As wellness and health maintenance programs develop in hospitals, corporations, universities, and other agencies, the demand will grow for qualified leaders and directors. The corporate world has noted that fitness programs produce an upswing in employee productivity, improves the quality of daily living and often results in substantial financial savings for employees. In meeting these ever-changing demands, the Exercise and Fitness Management program continually strives to provide the curriculum and experiences to enable students to serve in such leadership positions.
Students who successfully complete the program will be able to:
- Identify and explain the body’s physiological response to exercise and adaptations resulting from exercise training
- Mechanically analyze a movement skill and make recommendations to maintain or improve performance
- Develop and teach an exercise session (e.g., warm-up, cardiorespiratory, muscular strength/endurance, cool down & flexibility)
- Assess health-related fitness components (e.g., cardiorespiratory, muscular strength/endurance, flexibility & body comp)
- Assess skill-related performance components (e.g., balance, coordination, speed, agility and power)
- Create and implement appropriate exercise prescriptions for apparently healthy adults
- Design exercise programming and develop plans to promote, implement, monitor and evaluate the programs designed
- Design budgets, job descriptions/postings and bid specifications for program administration
Majors in the Kinesiology Exercise/Fitness Management program are accredited by the Committee on Accreditation for the Exercise Sciences, part of the Commission Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. This accreditation is renewed every year. The accreditation process helps ensure students receive an educational experience based on the standards of the field.
Kinesiology - Exercise and Fitness Management career opportunities include:
- Exercise physiology
- Personal training
- Performance enhancement and management
- Strength and conditioning coaching
- Group fitness instruction
- Health club or fitness center management
Community & Student Organizations
- Exercise Science Club
- Kinesiology and Health Studies Club
- Oklahoma Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance