Human Development and Family Sciences - Child Development
The Child Development major within the Family Life Education program provides students with a strong foundation on the growth and development of young children and the importance of parent education, play, and assessment when working with families. Curricula will prepare students for career opportunities by building competencies to work with children and their families.
Student Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate the skills to work with diverse populations.
- Serve individuals and families throughout the life span in education, prevention and intervention programs.
- Apply knowledge of family life education research to serve the community.
- Evaluate programs for the development and maintenance of interpersonal and social relationships.
- Identify legal issues, policies and laws adequately to advocate for the wellbeing of families.
- Relate ethical conduct in a professional setting.
- Apply effective communication skills to work with individuals and families.
Community & Student Organizations
- Oklahoma Child Care Resources & Referral Association
- Oklahoma Counseling Association
- Central Council on Family Relations
- UCO Early Childhood Association
- School Age Program Director
- Director of Child Care Center
- Head Start Administrator
- Child Development Specialist
- Parent Educator
Scholarships & Tuition Waivers
Incoming freshmen are eligible for a variety of scholarships within the General Academic Scholarship Program. There are multiple scholarships specific to the College of Education and Professional Studies.