University Closure: Due to forecasted severe weather, the University of Central Oklahoma will close at noon today, Monday, May 20. Offices will close and all classes are canceled after that time.
The Department of Adult Education and Safety Sciences offers both Bachelor of Science and Master’s degree programs for careers in business and industry settings and educational institutions.
Departmental programs focusing on business and industry prepare students for career opportunities in a wide variety of careers with titles including training professionals, staff development coordinators, aging services professionals, industry consultants, workforce development, environmental and occupational health and safety professionals , and health occupations professionals.
Departmental programs focusing on education prepare students for opportunities in educational institutions with career titles including training administrators and specialists, educational consultants, student services administrators, and public, private, and technology center educators at both the secondary and post-secondary levels. This area also includes certified teachers and administrators in family and consumer sciences, business information and technology education and trade and industrial education. The program also helps prepare those students who wish to seek terminal degrees in education as well as a variety of fields. Students completing degrees in AESS programs have moved on to receive competitive salaries and individual honors in their chosen fields.
Students who complete this degree will be able to:
- Demonstrate a breadth of knowledge and reasoning skills across disciplines.
- Demonstrate the ability to summarize their academic career in a manner intelligible to a potential employer.
- Acquire a general knowledge of eight core content areas.
- Enhance their global thinking, critical thinking, communication skills, problem solving, quantitative and analysis skills, and technological innovation skills.
- Develop additional knowledge in an area of institutional focus.
- Gain intellectual knowledge applicable to their personal enrichment and/or professional advancement.
- Apply concepts and theories learned in the core content courses and area of focus to a capstone project at the end of the program.
Take advantage of these opportunities in the metro which may spark your interest and even boost your resume.
Career opportunities for General Studies include:
- Child care
- Food service/production
- Organizational leadership
- Career, technical and workforce development
Scholarships & Tuition Waivers
Incoming freshmen are eligible for a variety of scholarships within the General Academic Scholarship Program. There are multiple scholarships specific to the College of Education and Professional Studies.