Family Life Education - Marriage and Family
This program is designed for students who desire to work in family life education and/or in family and community service settings. All curriculum has a broad interdisciplinary component including course work in individual development, marital and family systems, professionalism and ethics and research. Upon completion of this degree, students are prepared to apply for the following certifications: Certified Family Life Educator (CFLE) and Certified Child and Parenting Practitioner (CCPP).
Student Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate the skills to work with diverse populations.
- Serve individuals and families throughout the life span in education, prevention and intervention programs.
- Apply knowledge of family life education research to serve the community.
- Evaluate programs for the development and maintenance of interpersonal and social relationships.
- Identify legal issues, policies and laws adequately to advocate for the wellbeing of families.
- Relate ethical conduct in a professional setting.
- Apply effective communication skills to work with individuals and families.
Community & Student Organizations
- Oklahoma Child Care Resources & Referral Association
- Oklahoma Counseling Association
- Central Council on Family Relations
- UCO Early Childhood Association
- School Age Program Director
- Director of Child Care Center
- Head Start Administrator
- Child Development Specialist
- Parent Educator
UCO Child Study Center
The UCO Child Study Center, a half-day classroom for young children located in the HES building, provides Family Life Education students with the opportunity for hands-on learning experiences and research on campus.