University Closure: Due to forecasted severe weather, the University of Central Oklahoma will close at noon today, Monday, May 20. Offices will close and all classes are canceled after that time.
Family Life Education - Child Development
The Child Development major within the Family Life Education program provides students with a strong foundation on the growth and development of young children and the importance of parent education, play, and assessment when working with families. Curricula will prepare students for career opportunities by building competencies to work with children and their families.
Course content focuses on prenatal through adolescent development as well as current issues that effect today's families. Upon completion of the degree, students will be prepared to enter graduate programs with a concentration in Child Development and related areas. Students are prepared to apply for the following certifications: Certified Family Life Educator and Certified Child (CFLE) and Parenting Practitioner (CCPP).
Take advantage of these opportunities in the metro which may spark your interest and even boost your resume.
- Oklahoma Child Care Resources & Referral Association: Go to http://www.oklahomachildcare.org/ to learn more.
- Oklahoma Counseling Association: Go to http://www.oklahomacounseling.org/ to learn more and become a member.
- Oklahoma School Counselor’s Association: Go to http://www.okschoolcounselor.org/ to get connected to school Counselors across Oklahoma.
Career opportunities for Family Life Education - Child Development include:
- School Age Program Director
- Director of Child Care Center
- Head Start Administrator
- Children's Author Child Development Specialist
Scholarships & Tuition Waivers
Incoming freshmen are eligible for a variety of scholarships within the General Academic Scholarship Program. There are multiple scholarships specific to the College of Education and Professional Studies.