Unattended Children Policy
The University of Central Oklahoma welcomes children of students, staff, and members of the Wellness Center, as long as they are accompanied by a parent or adult caregiver and under appropriate supervision. Please be aware that our facilities are open to the public, a situation which can present risks to children.
- The safety and security of children are the responsibility of the parent or adult caregiver.
- UCO and Wellness Center staff cannot assume responsibility for the safety of children left unattended.
- UCO's Police Services will be notified immediately if children are left in the Wellness Center unaccompanied by an adult.
- No one under age 18, who is not a UCO student, is allowed on the second floor due to risk of injury from exercise equipment.
- A child not yet in high school must be under the supervision of an adult who assumes responsibility for him or her.
- If a child wishes to leave the Wellness Center, Wellness Center staff cannot legally detain him or her.
- Parents or adult caregivers must monitor all activities and behavior of their children while they are in the Wellness Center. The staff person in charge will request that a child leave the premises if Wellness Center rules are not followed.
- Parents or adult caregivers are responsible for any act of vandalism (cutting, tearing, defacing, or destroying equipment, furniture, or facility).
- Everyone is required to report child abuse and neglect to DHS (DHS hotline#: 1- 800-522-3511) and local law enforcement; there are no exceptions. If the child is in imminent danger, call 9-1-1 and the DHS hotline.
- If a child is left in the Wellness Center at closing time or in the event of an emergency situation, staff will immediately notify UCO's Police Services.
Effective date: September 29, 2011
Review date: October 11, 2019