Skip navigation

Important Update:

UCO requires all students, employees and visitors to wear a mask on campus when around others, both indoors and outdoors, and practice physical distancing of at least six feet when possible. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 symptoms, has been directly exposed to COVID-19 or has tested positive, fill out UCO's COVID-19 Self-Reporting form. To learn more about current operations, view the university's coronavirus webpage. View a list of UCO's virtual services.

Environmental Health and Safety

Risk Management | Occupational Health and Safety | Contact | FAQs

The Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) assures a safe and healthful environment for learning, living and work. This pledge extends to faculty, staff, students and the surrounding community. We promote safe work practices and procedures that do not cause harm to people, property or the environment.

Risk Management

We require incident reports as documentation and a means to note any potential problems. These issues include infringements on the code of conduct, unusual or significant occurrences and absolute emergencies. The content in these reports must be clear, factual and unbiased.

View the Incident Report Form

Steps to Report an Incident

Step One

Step Two

Send the completed form to within 24 hours of the incident.

Step Three

Report the incident to your immediate supervisor (if applicable) within 24 hours.


For every accident or incident that occurs on UCO property and results in an injury, please follow the instructions via the link below.


Property Damage

Every accident or incident that results in either damage to UCO property or damage by a UCO employee to property should be reported as soon as possible. Please follow the instructions via the link below.

Property Damage Reporting Instructions

Occupational Health and Safety

Safety Data Sheets

The Hazard Communication Standard (HCS) requires chemical manufacturers, distributors or importers to provide Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) to communicate the hazards of hazardous chemical products. These documents were formerly known as Material Safety Data Sheets or MSDSs. As of June 1, 2015, we require all new SDSs to be in a uniform format and include section numbers, headings and associated information under all entries in the linked PDF.

View Safety Data Sheets

Chemical Spills

In the event of a major chemical spill or potentially toxic odor, this document outlines the immediate steps to take.

View Chemical Spills Document

Contracted Crane Standard Operating Procedure

The purpose of developing a Standard Operating Procedure for activities involving crane operations with lifting and hoisting is to assure a safe and healthful work environment for the University of Central Oklahoma Campus Community. These Standard Operating Procedures apply to all crane-assisted lifting and hoisting operations at the University of Central Oklahoma. Prior planning and coordination with the contractor are essential to safely conducting operations.

View Contracted Crane Operating Procedures

Contact Us

Brent Miller

Backup for Risk Manager and Coordinator of Safety Operations

Brandy Kemp

Backup for Director, Risk Manager, and Coordinator of Safety Operations

Jeff Mlekush

Indoor Air Quality, Ergonomic Assessments, Safety Training, OSHA Regulations, Chemical Spills, Chemical Inventory, Asbestos Management, Lab Safety

Kathy Gradnigo

Risk Management, Accidents and Incidents, Workers' Compensation, Events, State Insurance Policies, International Travel

Frequently Asked Questions

Occupational Health and Safety Risk Management Workers' Compensation

Occupational Health and Safety

Who do I contact for Fire Code Compliance issues?

Please contact Police Services at 405-974-3872 or Police Chief, Jeff Harp, at 405-974-2800.

I need a waste pickup for chemical or biological waste.  What should I do?

Scheduled chemical waste pickups occur semi-annually.  You can contact us for further information on waste pickup and schedules.  If you need biological waste removed, contact us directly. A pickup will be scheduled for you as soon as possible.

How do I sign up for safety training courses?

You can register for courses online through the Learning Center.  Visit the safety training category on our website for more details.

How do I get a copy of a Safety Data Sheet?

You should request a copy of the material safety data sheet from the vendor when you purchase a chemical.  You can also look it up on MSDSonline.

Do I need to be fit tested to wear a respirator?

Yes.  If you perform work that requires the use of a tight-fitting respirator, please contact our department to schedule a training and fit testing session.

What do I do if I detect an unusual odor at work?

If you detect an unusual odor, contact the work order desk at 405-974-2247.  A member of the Physical Plant or EHS will come to your location to investigate.

How do I request an Ergonomic Assessment?

If you feel discomfort or cannot make adjustments to your workstation after utilizing the self-assessment tool, please contact us for a full workstation evaluation.

Risk Management

I am driving to a conference.  What documents should I carry with me?

Please carry the following documents with you when traveling for UCO business. 

  • Accident Information Tri-fold 
  • RM Card - Accident Card
  • Verification Letter of Liability Insurance

I am planning on traveling outside of the U.S. for official UCO business. What do I need to do?

Always register your travel with Risk Management at least 60 days in advance, if possible. When last-minute international travel is needed, please notify us as soon as possible. 

I am planning an event on campus.  Do I need to contact Risk Management?

If your event involves any of the following, please contact our office:

  • Minors
  • Vigorous physical activity
  • Tents
  • Inflatables or rides
    • Please note the additional requirements below.
  • Paint or other chemicals
  • Freshly prepared food from an offsite source
    • Please note: No authorization required for food catered by Chartwells, pre-packaged food, or restaurant pizza.
  • Grilling
  • Live heat source
  • Temporary electrical
  • Water
  • Animals
  • Outside vendors
  • Weapons
  • Political or religious programming
  • Concerts, bands, or any live music
  • Large crowds or audience participation
  • Strobe lights, dark rooms, or fog machines

My organization is renting inflatables for an event we are having. What is needed?

Please submit a photo of the inflatable(s), a certificate of liability insurance from the vendor naming UCO as the certificate holder and an OK DOL inspection report for each inflatable.

Workers' Compensation


While performing my typical office duties, I felt a sharp pain in my back. What do I do?

If you feel urgent attention is necessary, call our office to obtain approval for a medical evaluation. If you don't believe you need immediate medical treatment, complete the Occupational Injury Report form and submit to the Risk Manager as soon as possible. After a few days, if you are still in pain and want to see a doctor, please call our office for instructions.

After coming back from a Risk Management- or CBR-approved visit to the doctor for a work-related injury, how do I document my timecard?

The time you use for a medical appointment related to a work-related injury is counted as paid administrative leave. For questions on how to notate this on your timecard, please contact Payroll.

While I was leaving my office and headed to teach a class, I tripped and fell down the stairs. I think I may be severely injured. What do I do?

For emergencies, call 911 and head to the nearest ER.  Follow up with your supervisor and our office as soon as possible.