Skip navigation

General Information test


Are you making an internal purchase?

Are you making an external purchase?

  • I have an invoice.
    • PO / Encumbrance Payment
    • PO / No Encumbrance Payment
  • Vendor Setup
    • How do I correct a current vendor account?


Payment References of Authority

Oklahoma Office of State Finance, Chapter 300


Authorized Signatures

The University of Central Oklahoma is not responsible for purchases, leases or contractual obligations unless approved in writing by its authorized agents. Anyone signing a contract or agreement with intent to bind the University must have authority to do so from the President. Signing an agreement or contract without authority is considered to be acting outside the course and scope of employment and could subject the signer to personal liability.


Check Disbursement

All checks are mailed via the U.S. Postal Service. Checks forwarded to the Student Financial Services Department (formerly referred to as Bursar Office) must be made payable to a UCO organization.  These checks will be deposited into the appropriate organization, and a deposit receipt mailed to the applicable Financial Manager. Exceptions will be made on contracted services bound by a formal contract, approved by UCO Legal Counsel, stating payment is required to be made in person immediately upon completion of services performed. Note: The UCO standard contract forms do not allow for any exception to the check disbursement policy. Therefore, payment for services under standard UCO contracts will be mailed via U.S. Postal Services upon completion of services performed.


Employee Payment Policy

All payments made to employees of the University of Central Oklahoma shall be made through the UCO Payroll Department.  REF: ADM-FSV-1 Exceptions to this policy are limited to the following:


Independent Contractors, Contractual Services

Anyone hired to perform services at UCO on a short term basis should be considered a temporary employee, utilizing Millennium. Independent Contractors are the exception, not the rule.  Independent contractors have other customers outside of UCO. Independent Contractors are those who follow an independent trade, business or profession in which they offer their specialized services to the public, and are not employees nor perform tasks performed by current employees.  The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if you, the person for whom the services are performed, have the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not the means or methods of accomplishing the result. REF: IRS.GOVamp;#160; Please note that Honorariums and Stipends are considered payments for services by the IRS.


More Information:

Independent Contractor Hiring Procedures

Independent Contractor Speaker Contract  The Contract for Guest Speaker is utilized for any individual speaking at a UCO venue.

Independent Contractor Entertainment Contract  The Entertainment Contract is utilized for larger bands/bigger entertainment venues wherein risk factors are greater and dollar amounts to hire such performers are substantially more. The Entertainment Contract requires for all correct and accurate paperwork to be clocked into the Purchasing office at minimum, 14 business days prior to the event, and the contract commits to a payment the day of the performance.  If the department does not adhere to the 14 business day requirement and the accuracy of all paperwork, no commitment can be made to pay the performer the day of the performance.

Independent Contractor Service Agreement The Service Agreement can be utilized for any service of any kind less than $10,000.00 to even include performers/entertainers of small venues, e.g. students playing musical instruments for graduation.  Frequently utilized vendors for some services may have UCO Service Agreements on file for an entire fiscal year and therefore, may not need to be completed for each project, per campus customers. Campus customers should check the report Vendors Registered As Independent Contractors with Service Agreements on File before completing a service agreement.

The noted contracts require five business days to process UCO execution of authority. These days are in addition to the four day processing for purchase orders. The requestor should complete the form and have the Independent Contractor sign the contract.  The contract form should be attached to the requisition and submitted to the Purchasing Department by way of front desk processing and date/time clock stamp with a minimum of 9 business days prior to the independent contractor service being performed. The Purchasing Department will obtain the UCO executor signature once the requisition and all documentation have been reviewed and accepted as complete.  Any other vendor contracts outside of these approved Independent Contractor Forms require a six week processing time.

**Please note if the service performed entails an event to be held on University premises, Risk Management must be notified, at minimum 30 (thirty) business days, before the event date, effective 8/8/13.**

All contracts between UCO and vendors require for vendors to carry Oklahoma Worker's Compensation and customary insurance.  The Independent Contractor/Vendor agrees to comply with all provisions of the Oklahoma Workers' Compensation laws and maintain such liability insurance as is customary and appropriate in his or her profession or industry.  If the services are to be performed on University premises, the Independent Contractor/Vendor shall provide, upon request, the University with written proof of workers' compensation and customary and appropriate insurance coverage.   The vendor does have the option to select to complete the Affidavit of Exempt Status Under the Worker's Compensation Act Form.


Individual Membership Dues Payment Policy

The payment of individual UCO employee's membership dues has been determined to be an invalid expenditure.  However, individual 'position' memberships which are transferable are an allowed expenditure. Payment is authorized by means of purchase order or ProCard. This is in accordance to OSF Chapter 300, 319P.


Payment Increases and Encumbrances

UCO Purchasing and Payment Services Department has authority to increase encumbrance documents, purchase orders and payment amounts up to $25 without the Financial Manager's authorization.


Petty Cash Disbursement Procedures

Instructions for Use of Petty Cash


Receiving Tangible Items

To assure the entire procurement and payment process flows smoothly, it is imperative for departments to properly document partial receipts and full receipts of products (tangible merchandise).   In most circumstances, your purchase (ProCard or purchase order) is delivered to Central Receiving and redistributed to your department by Central Receiving personnel. Your signature for delivery is obtained at this time. However, there are situations involving desk top delivery, and purchases do not deliver through Central Receiving. This can also occur when a department purchases and picks up items locally, when the product arrives by U.S. Mail or desk top delivery allows the product to be delivered directly to your office. In these situations, no tangible product is processed through Central Receiving and it is mandatory in each scenario the receiver of the department take one of the following actions:

  1.  Document the receipt of the product by signing the purchase order copy or signing the packing slip, including the date of receipt, and forwarding to Central Receiving, Campus Box 131.
  2. Document the receipt of the product by signing the purchase order copy or signing the packing slip, including the date of receipt, and emailing to
  3. Document the receipt of the product by signing the purchase order copy or signing the packing slip, including the date of receipt, and faxing to Central Receiving at 974-3867.

There is no action required by Central Receiving for the following types of purchase orders: Services, Lease/Rentals, Maintenance Agreements, Registration, Hotel Reservations, Memberships.


Registration Fees, Advance Pre-Payment

Registration fees for conferences, meetings, seminars, and similar events will normally be paid by purchase orders.  However, in the following specific situations, advance pre-payments (UCO checks issued before the event date or PCard payment) may be allowed:

Option 1

  1. The organization requires pre-registration along with payment and by standard written policy, will not accept a purchase order.


Option 2 (all three must apply)

  1. A discounted fee is offered if registration is paid in advance (early registration).
  2. If the registered participant cannot attend, someone else may attend in his/her place.
  3. If the conference/event is canceled (as a whole) by the sponsoring organization, the University of Central Oklahoma will receive a 100% refund.

These are in accordance to OSF Chapter 300, Section 319L. 

Applicable Documentation:

Pre-Payment of Registration Form

UCO Policy states that any UCO employee failing to attend or participate in a pre-paid event or an event obligatory by purchase order shall be personally responsible for the incurred costs of pre-payment.  Request for exemption of this policy should be made in writing to the Executive Vice President and include copies of all related documentation, preferably prior to the event occurrence. 

Violations of this policy may exclude various UCO employees from participating in or requesting pre-paid events.

Reimbursements for UCO Employees, Student Expense Reimbursements (Non-Travel Related Expenses)

UCO employees and students may be reimbursed for miscellaneous emergency purchases or purchases approved to not have been processed through the conventional purchasing methods. The OSF Claim Form 3 must accompany all reimbursement requests. The form must be completed in entirety to include the following information regarding the reimbursement, must be notarized before submission to Payment Services and must include evidence of payment (receipts):

  • Brief explanation of the reimbursement
  • Organization number
  • Signature of requestor/claimant and a notary of the signature (bottom, left side of form)
  • Financial Manager signature (bottom, right side of form)  Note: If the requestor/claimant is the Financial Manager, a higher level of authority signature is required

Examples of payment and receipts could include cash payment with an itemized sales receipt, personal check payment with a copy of the front and back of the processed and canceled check and an itemized sales receipt, credit card payment with a copy of the credit card statement and an itemized sales receipt and/or any other payment with annotation from the merchant indicating the expense was paid and an itemized sales receipt.

If a reimbursement is for food expenses, a MERF Form (Meal Expense Request Form) is required with the submission.

The expense code for all non-travel related reimbursements to employees is 76113.  There is no established maximum limit on the amount which can be reimbursed, but a reimbursement in excess of $1000.00 per claim must include a written statement of justification for the purchase, explaining the reason for not submitting a requisition to the Purchasing Department for a purchase order to be processed. This required documentation is in addition to all other documents required for processing reimbursements.


Vendor Problems

Vendor problems should be reported to the Director of Purchasing by way of the Vendor Performance Quality Report. It is the responsibility of the University to adequately and fairly document problems and allow for resolve and cure on part of the vendor partner before considering terminating partnerships. Once the written report is made, the Director of Purchasing will work to resolve problem issues or remove the vendor from campus, if applicable.