Skip navigation

Important Update:

The University of Central Oklahoma physical campus will be closed to all but essential employees beginning at 5 p.m. Thursday, March 26, through at least April 15. UCO will transition to alternative instructional delivery methods from March 28 through the end of the spring semester. Many university services will continue to be available online. For more information, visit the university's COVID-19 website.

FAQs Regarding COVID-19

Jump to topic:
Classroom/Coursework | Campus Facilities, Student Employees | Modified Library Services | Graduation, Financial Aid, Tuition | Personal Health, Self-Reporting


Are classes canceled?

Classes are not canceled. Spring Break has been extended for students March 23-27. Beginning March 28, classes will shift to alternate instructional delivery methods for the remainder of the spring semester.

Will the university shift to online courses?

Beginning March 28, classes will shift to alternate instructional delivery methods for the remainder of the spring semester. Alternate instructional delivery methods mean classes may be taught online or through a variety of instructional arrangements. The university is working with departments to provide access to and training on alternative instructional delivery methods.

Do I have to pay online course fees for my in-person classes that transition to online delivery during this time?

No, there will be no fees for transitioning to alternative delivery.

Are assignments due over the extended spring break?

No, faculty have been asked to shift assignment deadlines to when classes resume March 30.

What if I don’t have access to a computer or internet to complete my assignments during this time?

The UCO Library will close; however, the library resources are available and staff remain available to assist online. The library website provides remote access to electronic resources. 

Students also can contact their professors to make arrangements for an alternative delivery method for assignments. Professors have been advised to prepare alternative assignments for students who do not have access to technology. Note this does not mean that students are excused from assignments.

How will my intersession classes work?

Intersession classes are expected to continue as scheduled and will transition to alternative delivery methods.

Does this mean finals are pushed back?

At this time, finals will proceed as scheduled. The university is monitoring the situation and will continue to provide updates via social media and the website.

How do students request disability accommodations during this time?

Disability Support Services staff will be working diligently and quickly with students and faculty to aid in a smooth transition for all.

If a student is currently registered with Disability Support Services and determines they need revised or additional accommodations after discussing assignments with their instructor, email or call 405-974-2516.

If a student is not currently registered with DSS and determines a need for accommodations based on the alternative instructional delivery, complete the Student Disability Registration Application.

How do we get an advisement appointment?

Academic advisement will continue either online or by telephone. Students can schedule appointments by emailing Include your name, ID number, major, phone number and availability in the message.

I’m supposed to study abroad in the fall? Will this affect my trip?

At this time, no plans have been made considering the fall semester.

Will the transition to alternative instructional delivery methods affect the status of international students?

The Department of Homeland Security’s Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) has published more detailed guidance on how it will offer flexibility in relation to rules that typically restrict international students from counting more than one online course toward the requirement that they maintain a full-time course of study. For students at colleges and universities that temporarily switch to online instruction, the SEVP will temporarily waive restrictions on international students engaging in online coursework. Students’ SEVIS records should stay in active status if they continue course online whether they are inside or outside the U.S.

How will this affect hands-on classes? Lab, performance arts, physical education, clinicals, studio art, etc.?

Alternative instructional delivery means more than a transition to an online course. Professors and instructors are researching and applying alternative delivery techniques for classes that traditionally require hands-on experience. You will receive more information from your instructor soon. Please check your UCO email and D2L regularly.

Will summer classes be available? Am I still able to enroll in them?

There have been no changes to the summer session and you will be able to enroll in summer courses. If that changes, we will let you know.


Campus Facilities, Student Employees

What other services still will be available? Bursar, Wellness Center, Library, Counseling, Testing Center, etc.

Library –The UCO Library will close; however, the library resources are available and staff remain available to assist online. The library website provides remote access to electronic resources. 

Bursar – The Bursar's Office is closed for in-person services, but you may pay your bill online via UCONNECT. Go to the My Finances Tab. Select Pay with Touchnet. By electronic check. Enter your bank’s routing and your account number to pay from your checking or savings account without incurring a service fee. By credit or debit card. This option charges a non-refundable 2.85% convenience fee. If you have a debit card, we encourage you to use the first option of paying with an electronic check.

For questions, email

Campus Mail – Students can receive and send mail via RK Black in the Nigh University Center from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday-Friday.

Center for Counseling and Well-Being – Virtual Walk-in hours will be held from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. You may call 405-974-2215 during office hours.  Please leave a message and we will return your call in 24 hours.

Testing Center - UCO Testing Services is closed for in-person testing until at least June 1, 2020. During this time, students can schedule remote placement testing through one of two third party service providers: Reading and Writing (ACCUPLACER) tests can be taken through Examity, and Math (ALEKS) tests can be taken through ProctorU.  Please note that both charge a fee for their service.  To schedule a remote test, email

Wellness Center – The Wellness Center and the Outdoor Adventure Recreation (OAR) are closed for the remainder of the spring semester. Personal training and group fitness classes will be canceled until further notice.

The OU Physicians Health and Wellness Clinic at UCO will close until further notice beginning at 5 p.m. Thursday, March 26. The phone line will be forwarded to the OU Physicians Canyon Park location. 

If you feel you have been exposed or are exhibiting symptoms, you should notify your primary care physician and/or the state coronavirus hotline (1-877-215-8336) and the campus Department of Public Safety at 405-974-2345. 

Those who come to campus seeking to access services in-person should practice personal hygiene such as frequent, thorough hand-washing and practice social distancing when on campus. Our custodial services partners have increased cleaning and sanitation practices to aid in the prevention of the virus.

Do student workers have to report during the extended spring break and/or the period of alternative instructional delivery?

Every effort is being made to accommodate student employees who would like to continue working where there is work available. We are working on several options such as shift work to aid in social distancing and telework. Contact your supervisor for more information.

We are working with our partners at Chartwell’s regarding guidance for those who work in campus dining services and we will share that information as soon as it is available.

Will on-campus events be canceled?

All university-related events of any size will be canceled or postponed for the remainder of the spring semester. This includes, but is not limited to, athletic events, recruitment events, tours, Graduation Central, student programs, reunions, performances, conferences and social events. 

How will this affect incoming freshmen?

Incoming freshmen will not be affected by current emergency measures. They can still apply as usual and will be able to enroll. As soon as we believe it is safe to do so, we will resume in-person campus tours and orientation/FORGE activities.

I live on campus. Should I stay here or go back home?

We understand that some of our students may not have another housing option and need to stay on campus. To identify these students and ensure we can meet their needs, students will need to complete the Intent to Stay form. 

Will housing and dining remain open?

At this time, we are closing Murdaugh Hall, West Hall, and The Quad for the remainder of the semester. Residents currently living in the University Commons are not impacted by this decision and may remain in their current on-campus residence. Students remaining on campus will be reassigned to the University Suites and University Commons at no additional charge. Communication regarding this move can be expected after April 1.

Residents who remain in the residence halls for the remainder of the spring semester should take note of the following changes in operations:

  • The Housing Front Desk will not be staffed in-person until further notice. Staff will be monitoring and responding to all phone and text messages, chats, email, and social media during regular operating hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. The RA On-Call can be contacted by phone at 405-974-2746.
  • Hall and maintenance staff will continue to be available on an as-needed basis for residents’ concerns and maintenance requests. Please be patient with response times due to the limited staffing that may be available.
  • Ayers Kitchen continues to be the only location for dining on campus with reduced hours of 9:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. every day. Meal swipes continue to be accepted for to-go meal options. Students can purchase additional meals at $8.50 with cash or their remaining Flex Dollars balance.

Will Ayers Kitchen accept FLEX dollars?

Yes, flex dollars and meal plans are accepted.

If I choose to move out of housing early, will I get a refund?

Students who choose to check out of Murdaugh Hall, West Hall, The Quad, and the University Suites will not be charged for their housing or dining for the period of April 1- May 8. Residents who have paid their housing and dining in full will receive a credit applied to their student account. Residents who have not completed the payment plan for housing and dining will have the relevant charges waived and any remaining balance will be refunded. 

Commons residents who choose to cancel their contract will have their accounts adjusted according to the Student Housing Agreement. This provides for a prorated credit of 50% of the remaining balance.

Students who remain in campus housing will not be eligible for waivers or credits. Students receiving university-sponsored financial assistance for housing and dining may not be eligible for a credit and will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

When is the last day to move out of university housing?

Students are welcome to remain in the residence halls until May 8. If that changes, residents will be informed. 

Will campus still observe their normal operating hours?

Just as faculty are developing alternatives for class delivery, we are developing alternatives for services and offices, including telework and shifts for staff to aid in social distancing. We will maintain as many campus resources as possible.


Modified Library Services

Can I work at the library? 

The Chambers Library will close to visitors; however, the library resources are available and staff remain available to assist online.

For more information or for assistance, visit


Graduation, Financial Aid, Tuition

What will happen with graduation?

Traditional commencement ceremonies in May have been canceled, but we are looking for alternative ways to celebrate this significant milestone. Please know that everyone involved in making the decisions about the semester and graduation feels heartbroken, too. Celebrating our students’ achievements at the end of the spring and fall semesters is something we cherish and look forward to. We recognize this is disappointing for those graduating. We are looking at other options. We just don’t know what that looks like just yet.

How will financial aid be impacted?

Student financial aid should not be impacted.

Will bursar payments be pushed back/extended?

UCO payment plans will continue to operate within the established payment schedule.  Students facing financial difficulties due to the COVID virus should contact

Will students receive a tuition refund for the week that spring break was extended?

No. Coursework will still be delivered after this period and students will receive credit when the class is successfully completed.

Will students already taking online classes get online delivery fees already paid refunded now that everyone has moved to online?

Refunds will not be issued for courses already designated as online. The fee charged for the online courses in the spring catalog have already been expended to create the courses currently in session. The assumption should not be made that the shift to alternative instructional delivery methods is a shift to online. In-person courses are being adapted to offer things like streamed lectures, but there remain distinct differences in technology and costs associated with them. There are also distinct limitations to some alternative instructional methods not found in the online environment.

Can I still purchase a cap, gown, regalia, etc.? 

Barnes and Noble, the university’s bookstore partner, is closing its campus bookstores March 24 until further notice. Unfortunately, graduation regalia is not available for purchase online. Once the bookstore reopens, graduation regalia may be purchased until the end of August 2020. Please direct any questions to the bookstore at or 405-974-2736 regarding caps, gowns, announcements or any other graduation regalia.

Are we going to receive any kind of refund for tuition or fees?

The university is not issuing tuition or fee refunds for the spring semester. Classes are still being delivered and course credit will be awarded accordingly.

Will there be a prorated refund for parking?

The university is not issuing refunds for parking passes. They are valid through July 2020. Reserved spaces and safety violations are still being enforced 24 hours a day, but all other lot classifications have been suspended. Bum-a-Bike has been suspended. Lime scooters have suspended service in Edmond and collected scooters.

What about veteran using their GI bills? We have to go to a physical class to receive our BAH, will the VA work something out for us?

On March 18, Congress passed legislation ensuring payments stay the same for the spring 2020 semester if colleges changed to alternative delivery methods. For now, this provision is limited to the spring term.

When will we know about the scholarships for the 2020-21 school year?

This is yet to be determined.

Will enrollment for the summer 2020 and fall 2020 semesters still open April 6?

Yes, students can enroll online.


Personal Health, Self-Reporting

What if I have been exposed to the virus or believe I am infected?

If a faculty/staff member or student believes they have been exposed to COVID-19 and/or are exhibiting symptoms, they should not report to campus.

First, contact your primary care physician or the Oklahoma Department of Health’s Coronavirus hotline at 1-877-215-8336 for instruction on testing and other recommended procedures.

Next, contact the UCO Department of Public Safety at 405-974-2345 to self-report. The department will gather the individual’s information and contact the appropriate parties. This is important to help the university make arrangements for the individual as it relates to their role at the university.

What’s being done to help prevent the spread on campus?

Consistent with governmental action designed to slow the spread of the virus, the UCO physical campus will close to all but essential employees at 5 p.m., Thursday, March 26 through at least April 15.

For housing, we have also adopted plans to isolate any resident exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms from the rest of the residents to minimize community spread.

Residents or faculty/staff who feel they have been exposed to the coronavirus or are exhibiting symptoms should notify their primary care physician and/or the state coronavirus hotline (1-877-215-8336) and the campus Department of Public Safety at 405-974-2345.

Do I have to cancel my trip? / Does this mean I can’t travel out of state to see my family?

The university recommends following all CDC travel guidelines. Please complete this online form regarding your travels before leaving for break.

I’m worried my child is going to get sick from being on campus.

The university is recommending all faculty, staff and students to follow the CDC prevention guidelines.

If a faculty/staff member or student believes they have been exposed to COVID-19 and/or are exhibiting symptoms, they should not report to campus. Contact the UCO Department of Public Safety at 405-974-2345 to self-report. The department will gather the individual’s information and contact the appropriate parties. This is important to help the university make arrangements for the individual as it relates to their role at the university. Individuals should also contact their primary care physician regarding testing and/or next steps.

I'm looking for ways to get help during COVID-19. Where do I go?

If you need help finding food, connecting with community resources or maintaining good mental health, our Health and Wellness During COVID-19 page has a variety of helpful contacts and resources.