Coronavirus Updates and Resources
Students, faculty and staff are advised to read all university e-communication at this time – including the weekday employee newsletter, Centralities – for important updates related to the university’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
March 25, 2020: UCO Physical Campus to Close; Virtual Campus Open
Transition to Alternative Delivery of Classes and Services
Thank you for your understanding and patience as we have navigated the many challenges to the University of Central Oklahoma’s regular efforts to deliver classroom instruction and services in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. This week, our faculty and staff are working diligently to transition instruction and services to alternative delivery methods. Most faculty and staff are already working remotely and our buildings have been closed to the public.
Consistent with governmental action designed to slow the spread of the virus, the UCO physical campus will close to all but essential employees at 5 p.m., Thursday, March 26 through at least April 15.
Below is a list of some of the many changes this closure brings as we open our virtual campus:
- Classroom instruction will transition to alternative delivery methods beginning March 28. Professors will reach out directly to their students on the next steps. Students should pay attention to their UCO email and D2L.
- Faculty and staff will transition to full-time telework with their supervisor’s approval. Connect with your supervisor for further details. Take home equipment, files and supplies needed to conduct business remotely when you leave on Thursday. More communication regarding other leave options and continuation of pay will be sent to faculty and staff.
- Many university services will continue to be available by alternative methods. View a list here.
- The Chambers Library will close to visitors; however, the library resources are available and staff remain available to assist online.
- University housing will remain open in a limited capacity for those with no other alternatives. Residents will be contacted by housing staff on next steps, including check out and prorated refund processes.
- We are still exploring alternatives for celebrating commencement for our graduating students. We will communicate our plans once they are in place.
Technology Equipment Resources for Checkout
The Office of Information Technology has ordered a limited number of laptops, hotspots, webcams and headsets to support continued learning and telework during the alternative instructional delivery time frame.
To request a device for checkout please complete the technology equipment request form. Some resources may require meeting certain criteria. Device check out requests are not guaranteed due to current market availability. Once the equipment becomes available, the process for pickup will be communicated.
While this shift in delivery of instruction and services will be challenging, we believe it is the best alternative with our current circumstances. We are working to ensure as smooth a transition as possible but ask for your patience and cooperation as adjustments may be needed when additional information is received or as government action evolves, and will adjust as needed along the way. We believe these steps are necessary for the health and safety of the Broncho Family and the community we share. We will be rolling out new ways to stay connected to each other virtually via the university’s social media accounts. Stay tuned to your social media feeds and UCO email for details. We are eager to be back on campus together again.
Until then, be well and Roll ‘Chos.