A Program for Incoming Freshmen in Mathematics and Science
The Summer Bridge@UCO program’s emphasis is on supporting undergraduate research and education. The program, held during July, is offered for incoming freshmen students majoring in science, technology, engineering, or mathematics (STEM).
High school seniors who have been admitted to UCO as freshmen for Fall, and have attended FORGE 2023 as STEM majors are eligible to apply for Summer Bridge@UCO. Students who are selected to participate will get a head-start on their college education by working with faculty mentors from the UCO College of Mathematics and Science on research projects. The program is a two-week session scheduled for July 10-21 (Monday through Friday each week). On-campus housing and meal cards are available at no cost to participants during the session. Students who complete the Summer Bridge program will each receive stipends.
Summer Bridge@UCO applicants must be admitted to UCO as a Fall 2023 freshman with a STEM major, and plan to enroll in and attend classes at UCO. Only the following UCO STEM majors qualify—biology, chemistry, computer science, engineering and physics (including biomedical engineering), mathematics, & statistics. Forensic Science majors who have a second major in one of the qualifying STEM disciplines will be considered for the program.
- The faculty mentors and their areas of interest are listed below:
- Amanda Waters- Natural Products Drug Discovery
- Chad King- Dendrochronology
- Clark Overbo- Mycology: Study of Fungi
- Evan Lemley- Makerspace: Engineering Design
- Jenna Messick- Flowering Phenology
- Jicheng Fu- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Justin Agan- Animal Behavior
- Mel Vaughan- Cell Behavior In Vitro
- Michelle Haynie- Small Mammal Surveys
- Mike Ferguson- Chemical Synthesis: Artificial Flavoring
- Rhonda Williams- Blood/Semen ID
- Vicki Jackson- Camera Trapping Mammal Surveys
For more information on Summer Bridge@UCO, please contact Victoria Jackson at the College of Mathematics and Science, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 405-974-5480.