Department of Nursing
About the Department | Department History | Nursing Faculty and Staff |Current Students | Alumni and Friends
Nursing at UCO
For more than 50 years, the University of Central Oklahoma (UCO) has provided Oklahoma with highly skilled and educated nurses. Graduates of UCO’s nursing programs are known for being some of the best nurses in Oklahoma, as well as the nation.
Accredited* by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE), UCO bachelor’s and master’s nursing programs prepare tomorrow’s leaders in nursing through a variety of settings, which helps meet the demand at all levels of nursing services needed in Oklahoma. Central offers traditional and nontraditional programs to support any student who wants to pursue a career in nursing or further their nursing education.
To determine if the UCO nursing programs meet the requirements for licensure in your state, view the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) website.
*The programs in the Department of Nursing at UCO are approved by the Oklahoma State Board of Nursing. Graduates of this state-approved program are eligible to apply to write the National Council Licensure Examination (NCLEX) for registered nurses. For more information on this approval, view this online document.
UCO's Nursing Degree Programs
Traditional Nursing Program, B.S.
Central’s traditional, on-campus nursing program is for students who are not licensed to practice nursing as an RN. The core of the program is the traditional four-year Bachelor of Science in nursing; however, a five-year plan is available.
- Graduates of the program are eligible to sit for the National Council Licensure Examination-RN (NCLEX-RN®) for licensure as a registered nurse.
- Students planning to become candidates for the B.S. in nursing program are required to make a formal application to the chairperson of the Department of Nursing for admission.
For those who have earned a traditional bachelor’s degree in another field and are ready for a career in nursing, Central’s Fast Track in nursing is for them. Upon successful completion, students will have earned a B.S. in nursing. The fast-track program can be completed in just 16 months and provides the flexibility of hybrid courses.
- Hybrid courses (at least 51% online)
- Complete in 16 months
- On-campus classes are one day per week plus clinical/lab day(s)
Online M.S. in Nursing
The Master of Science in nursing degree program at UCO will advance current nurses' knowledge, skills and abilities, providing opportunities to grow their leadership potential. The online nursing program provides students with two tracks to choose from – nursing education or nursing leadership.
- Fully online courses with full- and part-time options
- 100 clinical hours required
- Flexible, personalized electives
- As low as $15,000
- May complete in as little as 16 months (full time)
Online M.S. in nursing program info
Online RN to B.S. in Nursing Track
Central’s RN to B.S. track is available 100% online for RNs who want to further their nursing education. UCO's program is designed to provide flexibility for students, with the option to complete the track in as little as 10 months.
- 100% online nursing courses
- As low as $8,500 with no hidden fees
- Eight-week courses
- Full- or part-time options
- May complete in as little as two semesters (full time)
Contact UCO Nursing
University of Central Oklahoma, Coyner Health Sciences building, Room 121, 405-974-5000, firstname.lastname@example.org.