Sigma Phi Sigma
Sigma Phi Sigma Funeral Service Fraternity
Sigma Phi Sigma is a national funeral service fraternity devoted to enhancing the education of funeral service practitioners. It became a recognized chartered business fraternity during the fall 1965 semester at Southern Illinois University. Today, there are 17 affiliated chapters. The Gamma Chapter received formal recognition at the University of Central Oklahoma Oct. 22, 1970.
The vision of the Gamma Chapter of Sigma Phi Sigma is to become the preeminent chapter in the world by meeting the ideals of our mission statement and goals of the fraternity.
- To promote professionalism by providing opportunities for the development of leadership and climates for exchange of professional concepts, ethics and ideals.
- Educate the public concerning the funeral profession and increase the public's appreciation of the profession by advocating participation in community service projects.
- Encourage fellowship between students, faculty and business entities.
- Aid students in their academic endeavors through educational opportunities, speakers or other tools with the goal of exceeding National and/or State Board Examination standards.
- Provide members various tools to advance their career goals and to assist in securing a position with a funeral service provider.