Skip navigation

Important Update:

Consistent with revised CDC guidance, vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals are recommended to wear a mask when in public indoor spaces where COVID-19 virus transmission is considered substantial or high.

COVID-19 Resources: COVID-19 Testing | Report Positive Test, Symptoms, or Direct Exposure | Vaccine Information | COVID-19 Website 

Prospective Students


You must first complete the process for admission to UCO by submitting an application and declaring funeral service as your major.

If you are transferring courses from another institution, UCO Transfer Admissions will provide the information you need. 

Programs offered by the Department of Funeral Service

Are you an out-of-state student looking for help with tuition? See if you qualify for the Broncho Advantage. 

If you are a veteran, please visit VetHero for more information, so we can help you succeed. 

Additional Information

What is the difference between the Bachelor's Degree, Certificate Program, and Funeral Director Only Licensure?

The degree of education required for licensing varies by state. The bachelor's degree in funeral service from UCO meets or exceeds the educational portion of licensing requirements for all states. The certificate in funeral service alone does not meet licensing requirements in Oklahoma in addition to other states. The majority of students attending UCO are pursuing a bachelor's degree option. Students should review requirements for the state in which they intend to practice before choosing their course of study. Oklahoma also has a funeral director-only licensure option. Please contact the department to help you decide which option meets your professional goals.

I want to be a funeral director only or I am only interested in embalming. May I get a degree in one or the other?

The Oklahoma Funeral Board approved a funeral director-only licensure option in November 2017.  UCO funeral service offers the courses required for this licensure. To receive the certificate or bachelor's degree at UCO, all coursework for both funeral directing and embalming is required.  You are also required to take both portions of the National Board Exam, the science exam, and the art exam.  In Oklahoma, passing the science exam is required to obtain an embalming license, and passing the art exam is required to obtain a funeral director's license.