The purpose of the Biology Capstone is to provide students an opportunity to apply, integrate, and demonstrate the knowledge and skills they have acquired during their undergraduate biology education.
The capstone course is a zero credit-hour course in which students may enroll after completing 60 credit hours of course work. This course is designed to be taken in conjunction with a capstone experience through which the student will be able to demonstrate the core competencies of the general education program of the university.
Regardless of the capstone activity that is chosen, students will be required to complete writing throughout the semester, which is evaluated by the capstone mentor, and submit a reflective writing piece about their capstone experience to the capstone coordinator, which will be evaluated using the using a rubric evaluating critical thinking and writing skills.
Requirements to get credit for BIO 4840 Capstone
- Have a capstone contract on file with capstone coordinator, Paul Olson, Ph.D.
- Successfully complete one:
- One of the biology courses that may be used as a capstone experience (including internships and individual study)
- One other capstone experience (e.g. professional school test & application, independent research, service-learning, Science Olympiad, and Science Fair.)
- Complete journal entries evaluated by capstone mentor (varies by course or project)
- Submit and pass the reflective writing assignment evaluated via the capstone coordinator.
- Meet the prerequisite requirement of having completed 60 hours of course work.
- Choose either a capstone course or a special project. See the websites for who to contact and specific requirements.
- If choosing an internship, see the internship site. There are multiple enrollment steps.
- If choosing individual study and/or special projects, contact the faculty mentor you will be working with.
- Complete capstone contract with faculty member overseeing course or special project. The contract must be approved by the capstone coordinator prior to being allowed to enroll in BIO 4840.
- Enroll in one of the biology courses if using that option as a capstone experience.
- Enroll in BIO 4840.
Prerequisites to enroll in BIO 4840
To enroll in a capstone experience, students must complete a minimum of 60 credit hours. This zero credit-hour course is designed to be taken in conjunction with a capstone experience. Capstone experiences may include the following courses or special projects in biology and are approved by the capstone coordinator. Approval of the capstone coordinator is required before starting any capstone experience. A reflective writing piece, which must receive a passing score, will be required for all capstones.
Reflective writing information
Additional information will be available in the D2L course for BIO 4840. The links below are for reference.