Oklahoma High School Football State Championship Games:
UCO welcomes Oklahoma high school football state championship teams and fans to our campus for the 2022 OSSAA high school football championship games, Dec. 1-10. Visit the Championship Central website for more info.
Sociology, Gerontology, and Substance Abuse Studies
As a student of Sociology, Gerontology, or Substance Abuse, you'll have the opportunity to support the health and wellness of your community by studying mental health and addiction issues.
What kind of jobs can be available with a degree in Sociology, Gerontology, and Substance Abuse Studies?
If you graduate with a major in Sociology, you may expect to enter research positions, community organizing, public administration fields, or pursue a graduate education in a variety of disciplines.
A concentration in Gerontology or human services can prepare you for positions like social service workers, graduate education in behavioral science, human service fields like social work, counseling, and gerontology. As the only gerontology master's program in the state, we offer flexible, early evening classes along with an option to either write a thesis or complete practicum experiences.
Finally, a focus on Substance Abuse Studies prepares you to work in the fields of substance abuse prevention and treatment or to become a licensed drug and alcohol counselor, or LADC. You could also go on to pursue our new degree, a Master's in Substance Abuse Studies.
You may enjoy Sociology, Gerontology, or Substance Abuse Studies if you:
- Are looking to have a deeper understanding of humankind.
- Thrive when working with others and enjoy a humanistic approach.
- Want a broad skill set that enables you to make fair, rational decisions.
- Want to focus on people and their interactions with others and the world.
- Want a degree that will prepare you for a large variety of career paths.
- Are interested in becoming a counselor, social worker, geriatric advocate, or data analyst.
- Are interested in what is going on in the world.