Master of Public Administration
An Advanced Degree for the Difference Makers
Now, more than ever, our communities need people committed to serving the greater good of society. The UCO Master of Public Administration prepares you to take a leadership role in public service, contributing to meaningful programs and advancements that make our communities thrive.
Our graduates are working in all levels of government — city, country, state and federal — as well as in nonprofit organizations, the military and the private sector.
The UCO MPA offers flexibility for working adults with night and weekend classes on our Edmond campus and downtown Oklahoma City facility, as well as online and streaming classes. Students can also create customized learning opportunities such as internships, field studies, institutes, workshops and independent studies that can help them complete their degree faster.
The UCO MPA is one of the most affordable degrees of its kind in the Oklahoma City metro offering competitive tuition and financial assistance to those that qualify. The Tuition and Fee Estimate Calculator can help you plan ahead for the semester and provides a breakdown of current costs.
The UCO Political Science Department also offers Teaching Assistantships. These opportunities are posted on UCO’s Careers site. UCO MPA Students may also be eligible for tuition waivers, financial aid, and scholarship opportunities. For a helpful listing of how to pay for school, please visit Admissions and Aid.
The UCO MPA Experience
The UCO MPA is a 36-credit hour program that is usually completed within two years of full-time study (9 hours per semester). UCO MPA students enjoy small classes taught primarily by full-time Ph.D. faculty who integrate academic excellence, rigorous research, and professional experience. The program also may be completed part-time. It is housed in the Department of Political Science in the College of Liberal Arts.
- Eight required courses (24 hours):
- Public Administration Dynamics
- Research Methods
- Public Executive Leadership
- Public Finance & Budgeting
- Public Sector Human Resources
- Public Policy Analysis
- Public Sector Organization Theory
- Capstone Paper
- Four guided elective courses (12 hours)
Degree title: Master of Public Administration
- The program is located in a Department of Political Science.
- UCO-MPA generally serves part-time and some full-time students
- Academic Calendar Year is three semesters: Fall/Spring/Summer
- Classes are available evenings and weekends
- Generally takes four 9-hour semesters to complete the program
- Mode of delivery is in-person/online
- Degree distinctions: The UCO-MPA program serves diverse state and local communities by training professionals who create public value and seek careers in government, nonprofit organizations, and other public service fields.
- Emphasis is placed on public and nonprofit as well as urban management.
- A 12-hour certificate in Emergency Management is available.
- An MPA-JD dual degree option is available.
- The UCO-MPA program is located on the main campus located in Edmond, Oklahoma. Classes are also offered in downtown Oklahoma City and online. The program can be completed by taking courses exclusively online as well as the face-to-face.
- Fast track: BA to MPA with 9 hours of credit counting toward degrees.
Cost of Degree:
- Out-of-state tuition (total, non-discounted full-time student cost): $25,522
- Health insurance fees are not included in the cost of non-discounted tuition /fees of the UCO-MPA program: 0
- In-state tuition (total, non-discounted full-time student cost): $10,499
- Out-of-state fees: $ 3,092
- In-state fees: $ 3,612
- Total cost (out-of-state tuition and fees): $28,603
- Total cost (in-state tuition and fees): $14,113
- Percentage of full-time students receiving financial aid: 78%
- Percentage of part-time students receiving financial aid: 64%
- Percentage of international students (full and part-time) receiving financial aid: 47%