The Mission of The Melton Gallery is to serve as a forum to support the visual arts through diverse exhibitions and programming, creating dialog between the university and the broader artistic community.
The Melton Gallery strives for the following goals:
- Extend the knowledge of contemporary art, design practices and critical theory
- Pursue exhibitions and programming that are issue-charged in nature
- Cultivate diverse audiences to create an atmosphere of inclusion
- Develop community partnerships through collaborative projects
- Provide deliberate support of the art and design departments’ missions to prepare students to enter professional careers
Currently in the Gallery
Melton Gallery: When Worn, A Contemporary Jewelry Exhibition
When Worn is an exhibition featuring the work of emerging and established jewelers and metalsmiths from across the nation.
When Worn highlights the act of adornment. When placed on the body, jewelry, transforms not only the appearance of its wearer, but it inserts itself between the adorned and audience as a signal and an invitation between two beings.
Jewelry has the power to communicate without language. It calls to be a center for dialogue and connection between two people. A simple ring can be a silent signal that shares someone’s marital status and perhaps a pendant can notate personal beliefs or be a badge proudly declaring 'I belong.'
Thursday March 5, 5:30 pm
March 2—26, 2020