Consistent with revised CDC guidance, vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals are recommended to wear a mask when in public indoor spaces where COVID-19 virus transmission is considered substantial or high.
Students, help Move the Needle on COVID-19 vaccinations.
Piano and Keyboard Studies
The Piano/Keyboard program at UCO offers a Bachelor of Music degree in Piano Performance and Master of Music in Piano Performance, Piano Pedagogy, and Collaborative Piano. There is also an opportunity to minor in either Collaborative Piano or Piano Pedagogy.
Chamber Music Groups
Players in the various chamber ensembles usually focus on one-on-a-part performances, which allow the musicians to experience the highest levels of responsibility and flexibility. This type of individual performance responsibility helps the student musician to mature and grow, as they learn to function and perform like a professional. In addition, chamber ensembles allow students to experience music from every different compositional style period, from medieval and renaissance music to current pieces by living composers. The chamber ensembles function almost as a music "lab" experience, where the musicians can apply what they learn in theory and history.
UCO Keyboard Ensemble (Clavinorchestra)
The UCO Keyboard Ensemble (Clavinorchestra) utilizes state-of-the-art Yamaha Clavinovas in combination with Steinway pianos. Participating in the Clavinorchestra offers pianists the rare opportunity to experience endless variety of ensemble sounds, from classical to jazz, in multiple-keyboard groups of all sizes.
- All-Steinway Initiative: UCO is becoming an all-Steinway school and already features Steinway grand pianos in all of its performing venues.
- ESPK (Ergonomically-Scaled Piano Keyboard): UCO is excited to have two ESPKs for student use, among the very few in OK! With these pianos, those with a limited hand span can play comfortably and access more repertoire.
- Digital Keyboards: With UCO’s Yamaha Clavinovas, students use cutting-edge digital piano technology to create original orchestrations and more.
- Harpsichord: Students gain experience in historical performance practice on our custom-made harpsichord, built in 2013 by Bennight.
Our Degree Programs
- B.M. Instrumental Performance, Piano
- M.M. Performance, Piano
- M.M.Pedagogy, Piano
- M.M. Collaborative Piano
- Minor in Piano Pedagogy
- Minor in Collaborative Piano
Our Piano Faculty
- Dr. Valery Kuleshov, Artist-in-Residence
- Dr. Sallie Pollack, Division Chair & Collaborative Piano Program Coordinator
- Dr. Chindarat Charoenwongse
- Dr. David Forbat
- Dr. Linda Owen
- Ms. Natalie Syring
- Ms. Carrie Edwards
- Ms. Hwaju Lee
Kuleshov Scholar Auditions
- Applicant must hold a baccalaureate degree or equivalent.
- Applicant must be accepted into the UCO Jackson College of Graduate Studies.
- Student will receive a tuition waiver for up to 9 hours of graduate study and a cash scholarship for associated fees per semester.
- Student must pursue a M.M. in Piano Performance.
- Student will take applied piano lessons in the studio of Maestro Valery Kuleshov each semester.
- Final decisions on all auditions will be made by Maestro Kuleshov in consultation with the UCO Piano Faculty.
- All awards are contingent on University funding.