Multicultural Education Institute
The Multicultural Education Institute (MEI) is held annually at UCO and is designed to assist teachers, future teachers, paraprofessionals, administrators, counselors and other personnel in education to understand and implement strategies and programs in schools that build cross-cultural appreciation and academic success for all students. The Institute was first co-sponsored by UCO and Oklahoma City Public Schools in 1983.
MEI unites educators across Oklahoma to share the latest strategies and practices that help improve educating our increasingly diverse communities.
37th Annual MEI Conference Information
- Date - February 21-22, 2020
- Theme - 20/20: Focusing on Unity
- Location – UCO Nigh University Center
2020 CONFERENCE SPECIAL GUESTS
- Lhisa Almashy - ESOL teacher and education advocate, Palm Beach County, Florida
- Lewis Diuguid - Educational diversity activist, author and retired Kansas City Star Journalist
- Akash Patel – Founder of Happy World Foundation, Inc. and Spanish teacher at Dallas Independent School District
Registration deadline is Friday, Feb. 7, 2020.
MEI is currently accepting presentation proposals for spring 2020. If your proposal is accepted and you present at MEI, you and all co-presenters will receive complimentary registration to the entire event.
Call for Presentations
Teacher Incentive Grants
MEI awards multicultural classroom project funding to Oklahoma teachers with the Teacher Incentive Grant. If you are a classroom teacher in an Oklahoma school district and want to implement a multicultural project in your classroom, please submit a Teacher Incentive Grant Award application.
2020 MEI Awards
MEI is committed to the recognition of excellence in multicultural education. Recipients are selected from nomination applications. To nominate an outstanding contributor to multicultural education, please click the appropriate nomination application below:
Teacher of the year
- Multicultural Teacher of the Year Award Information
- Multicultural Teacher of the Year Nomination Form
Paraprofessional of the year
- Bilingual Paraprofessional of the Year Award Information
- Bilingual Paraprofessional of the Year Nomination Form
student of the year
- Multicultural Student of the Year Award Information
- Multicultural Student of the Year Nomination Form
citizen of the year
- Multicultural Citizen of the Year Award Information
- Multicultural Citizen of the Year Nomination Form
organization of the year
- Multicultural Organization of the Year Award Information
- Multicultural Organization of the Year Nomination Form
Artisan, Exhibitor, and Service Agency Space Applications
ARTISAN/CRAFTER DISPLAY SPACE
EXHIBITOR ORGANIZATION DISPLAY SPACE
SERVICE AGENCY/PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION DISPLAY SPACE
- Service Agency/Professional Organization Display Application Information
- Service Agency/Professional Organization Application Form
High School Student Essay, Poster and Video Contest
MEI is currently accepting entries for the high school student essay, poster and video contest. All submissions should reflect the theme, “Focusing on Unity.” The submission deadline is February 7, 2020.