Skip navigation

Non-Resident Tuition Assistance

Nonresident Tuition Assistance

In thinking about your future, you’ve identified the University of Central Oklahoma as a place where you can grow—gain new skills, access experiential opportunities and prepare for a rewarding career. However, you don’t currently reside in Oklahoma, which means you may be expected to pay out-of-state tuition. 

Before you accept this amount at face value, consider the multiple forms of nonresident tuition assistance available.

Residency and Tuition

UCO’s requirements for residency reflect those established by the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education (OSRHE). For undergraduate students, an in-state resident is someone whose parents or guardians live and have established a presence in the state. 

UCO’s tuition is based on the number of credit hours taken per semester, course level and residency status. Understand the differences between in-state and out-of-state tuition, and calculate how much you may be expected to pay. 

Out-of-State Tuition Waivers

Nonresident tuition waivers allow out-of-state students to pay in-state or a reduced tuition rate. Options include the following programs:

Broncho Advantage

Borders aren't boundaries, thanks to the Broncho Advantage Program. This program is an automatic four-year, out-of-state tuition waiver to the University of Central Oklahoma for qualifying students from Arizona, Arkansas, California, Iowa, Kansas, Mississippi, New Mexico and Texas. 

This means you can experience our unique degree programs like forensic science or contemporary music, along with any of our undergraduate and graduate programs, at a competitive cost.

Broncho Advantage

Nonresident Legacy Tuition Fee Waiver

If your parent or grandparent graduated from UCO, and you are considered a current, nonresident student (you do not reside in Oklahoma), you may qualify for the nonresident tuition fee waiver. The waiver covers the nonresident tuition fees for no more than 12 hours in the fall or spring semester and no more than six hours in the summer. *Excludes concurrent students.

Waiver is listed under the My Opportunities tab in the scholarship portal.


If your parent or grandparent graduated from UCO and you are considered a resident of Oklahoma, contact the UCO Alumni Association at 405-974-2421 about the Alumni Legacy Scholarship.

In-State/Out-of-State Residence Status

 For tuition purposes, in-state and out-of-state residency status is determined according to the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education policy. If you would like to petition for in-state status or would like more details, visit: 


When might you be eligible for in-state tuition as someone living outside of Oklahoma?

  • You graduated from an Oklahoma high school and resided with a parent or legal guardian for at least two years before graduation.
  • Your parent or legal guardian has lived in Oklahoma for at least 12 months and has established residency.
  • Your parent or legal guardian moved to Oklahoma to work full time or practice their profession in a similar capacity.
  • You are considered legally independent—no one can claim you as a dependent—and have lived in Oklahoma for the past 12 months or have moved to the state to work or practice your profession full time.
  • You are married to an individual who is already an Oklahoma resident.
  • You are a dependent of an active-duty military member currently stationed in Oklahoma or for whom the state is their residence on record.  

Other Options for Out-of-State Tuition Assistance

Out-of-state students may benefit from the following opportunities.

Academic Common Market

Oklahoma is one of 15 states participating in the Southern Regional Education Board. Through this partnership, out-of-state students are eligible to receive in-state tuition rates if they’re studying a specialized field or enrolled in a niche program not available in their home state. This waiver is available to both undergraduate and graduate students and encompasses more than 1,900 academic programs.

Students apply to the Academic Common Market after being admitted to UCO. Learn more about how this program works

Nonresident Scholarships

Out-of-state residents are eligible for academically oriented, leadership and other types of scholarship awards. Additionally, UCO further extends select academic scholarships to nonresident undergraduate students, including incoming freshmen and transfers. Review all options now to determine if you qualify. 

For Additional Information About Nonresident Tuition Assistance

For additional questions concerning out-of-state tuition rates, waivers or petitioning for a residency change, contact Student Financial Services by email at or by phone at 405-974-2727.