Skip navigation

Note: For federal and state grant eligibility, the student enrollment level at the time of the add/drop deadline for each semester, will be used for grant calculation and eligibility.

Federal Pell Grant

Pell Grants are awarded only to undergraduate students - those who have not earned a bachelor's or graduate degree.  The amount of a Pell Grant depends on the student's cost of attendance, Expected Family Contribution (EFC) number, enrollment status (full or part-time). The student must be accepted into a degree-seeking major or eligible certificate program.

Year-Round Pell Grants| Summer 2018
Pell eligible students enrolled full-time in Fall 2017/ Spring 2018 may be eligible for Summer Pell
  • Have completed a 17-18 FAFSA and be Pell eligible
  • Complete a 2018 Summer Application
  • Must be making academic progress
  • Must be enrolled half-time/6+ credits and attend the courses
  • Have lifetime Pell limit eligibility remaining for summer

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) program is for undergraduates with exceptional financial need.  Pell Grant recipients with the lowest expected family contributions (EFCs) are considered first for a FSEOG.  Eligible students may receive between $100 and $4,000 a year, depending on when they apply, their financial need, the funding at the school attended, and the policies of the financial aid office at the school attended.

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)

This grant opportunity is for students who plan to teach in a high-need field at schools that serve low-income students.  There is a $16,000 total undergraduate maximum with an additional $8,000 total for graduate work.  This grant has many conditions and it will convert to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan if you do not meet all of the necessary obligations.  We will only consider your eligibility for this grant after you have completed and submitted the Teach Grant Application, available online or from the Service Center of the Office of Student Financial Services.

To Receive a TEACH Grant, You Must:

  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year, although you do not have to demonstrate financial need.
  • Be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching. Such coursework may include subject area courses (e.g., math courses for a student who intends to be a math teacher).  A student working on a 2nd BA/BS degree is not eligible.
  • Meet academic achievement requirements on an Admissions test (ACT 27, SAT 1200, GRE 675 on at least one battery of tests) or maintain a cumulative High School or College GPA of at least 3.25.
  • Complete the on-line TEACH Grant Counseling each year.
  • Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve each year.

To Make Sure You Do Not Have To Repay This Grant:

  • You must serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students.
  • You must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant.
  • If you fail to complete this service obligation, all amounts of the TEACH Grants received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.  You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education.  Interest is charged from the date the grant(s) was disbursed.

High-Need Fields Are:

  • Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition
  • Foreign Language
  • Mathematics
  • Reading Specialist
  • Science
  • Special Education

Schools serving low-income students include any elementary or secondary school listed in the Department of Education’s Annual Directory of Designated Low-Income Schools for Teacher Cancellation Benefits 

For additional information and to complete the TEACH Grant Counseling and/or the Agreement to Serve (ATS), visit the student aid website.

Students who receive a TEACH Grant at UCO are required to complete TEACH Grant Counseling upon ceasing to attend UCO, official or unofficial withdrawal from the University, or withdrawal from a TEACH Grant-eligible program/major.

To complete TEACH Grant Exit Counseling:

  • Go to NSLDS
  • Select the TEACH Grant Exit Counseling link
  • Log in with your Federal Student Aid PIN

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

Beginning with the 2010-11 award year, a student who is not eligible for a Pell Grant but whose parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and died as a result of service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001 may be eligible to receive the Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. The student must have been less than 24 years old or enrolled in college when the parent or guardian died.  The grant award is equal to the amount of a maximum Pell Grant for the award year -- not to exceed the cost of attendance for that award year.

Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant (OTAG)

The Oklahoma State Regents’ Office awards Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant (OTAG) funds to eligible undergraduate Oklahoma residents who attend school in Oklahoma.  OTAG is a part of LEAP (Leveraging Educational Assistance Partnership) and is funded by the federal and state governments.  OTAG is included for potential eligibility as part of your award package.  However, even if you have been offered an OTAG award, funds will not be forwarded to UCO until eligibility is confirmed with the OTAG office, and UCO enrollment has been verified.  Students awarded OTAG but withdraw or cease to be enrolled at least half time during the 100% refund period will not be eligible for OTAG funding.