Skip navigation

Maximum Course Load Enrollment

The maximum regular enrollment for an undergraduate student during the spring or fall semester is 20 hours and 10 hours in the summer session. The enrollment limit for a graduate student is 12 hours during the fall or spring semesters, and 9 hours in the summer session (6 hours for MBA students). If your planned enrollment exceeds these limits, you must obtain written approval (overload form) from your advisor (undergraduate) or from the Graduate Office (graduate student). Approval for overloads are restricted by State Regents' guidelines and institutional performance standards.

Full Time Student Status  

Full-time status is defined as twelve (12) undergraduate credit hours or nine (9) graduate credit hours for fall or spring semesters and six (6) undergraduate credit hours or five (5) graduate credit hours in the summer session. Students with a mixed enrollment of graduate & undergraduate credit, must enroll in nine (9) graduate hours or have a combined total of twelve (12) hours to achieve full-time status. Undergraduate students who wish to graduate in four years, excluding summer terms, would usually enroll in an academic course load of fifteen (15) hours in each of the fall and spring semesters.

Please note, the required amount of hours to be considered a full-time student in the summer session for Summer Financial Aid eligibility differs from the above information. See more information here.

Admission to and enrollment in correspondence study prior to March 2016 does not count toward your status at the University and will not be verified for enrollment, financial aid, or insurance purposes.


The University will NOT drop you from classes for nonpayment of fees. Once enrolled, you are officially enrolled and committed to attend class. If you do not officially withdraw (even if you never attend class), you will be charged tuition, fees and penalties and will receive failing grades.

Intersession Classes  

Students must withdraw from classes if they will not or cannot attend. If you do not officially withdraw (even if you never attend class), you will be charged tuition, fees and penalties and will receive failing grades.

Emergency/Late Withdrawal and Bursar Appeal

If you are trying to drop a class from the current semester, check the Dates and Deadlines schedule. Use the Emergency Withdrawal appeal only if the drop date has passed. All requests must be initiated within one year of the semester in which grades were assigned. Requests received after one year will not be considered. Exceptions are granted only in unforeseen, catastrophic circumstances. The supporting documentation must be directly relevant to the unforeseen, catastrophic circumstance and specifically address the semester in question. Poor academic performance or failing to attend will not be given consideration.

Drop and withdrawal deadlines are determined by the length of the individual class (generally, 68% of the length of the class). You should be aware of these deadlines for regular and irregular classes (those meeting less than the full semester). Drop/withdrawal deadlines for full semester and block courses are listed on the "Add/Drop/Withdraw Deadlines" page.

To complete an Emergency Withdrawal or a Bursar Appeal, you will need to complete the required forms below. Remember, you must include any documentation to support your request. The documentation needs to be from a professional, for example a professor, a doctor, a therapist, etc.

All approved withdrawals and drops after the deadline will be reflected on the transcript as “W” for passing or “F” for failing.

Emergency Withdrawal:

 Bursar Appeal:

Incomplete Grade  

Incomplete - given at the instructor’s discretion to indicate that additional work is necessary to complete a course.  It is not a substitute for an “F” grade, and no student may be failing a course at the time an “I” grade is awarded.  To receive an “I” grade, the student should have satisfactorily completed a substantial portion of the required course work for the semester.  Students have one year to resolve incomplete grades.  In extenuating circumstances, exceptions may be requested  Before an Incomplete can be assigned, the student and instructor must sign an agreement specifying the conditions required for removing the "I".

Repeating Courses  

UCO’s Course Repeat Policy allows students who make a “D” or an “F” in a course and retake the same course to exclude the first grade from their Graduation/Retention GPA. This policy is not for UCO graduate students.

The original grade will be retained on the transcript. The repeat policy will be applied to the first four classes repeated for a maximum of 18 credit hours.  Repeats will be applied in the order in which the classes are repeated.  The policy may only be used once per course number. Courses retaken more than once will be counted in all GPA calculations except the Major/Minor GPAs.  Students can only earn credit for a course one time.  Courses repeated at other schools and equivalent transfer courses will be counted toward the four class maximum. 

Please note: It is your responsibility to report repeated courses to the advisor. It is to your advantage to complete the repeat form immediately following the semester you repeat the course.

The Registrar reserves the right to adjust your record whenever a repeated course is discovered that has not been previously reported. This could result in ineligibility for graduation or other recognition if adjustment of the record results in reducing your total credit hours or grade point average below acceptable levels. Questions regarding the repeat policy should be directed to your academic advisor.