All students at the University of Central Oklahoma will be classified in one of the following statuses for retention purposes.
Special note for concurrent students: If coursework is taken while a concurrent student falls below a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0, see below under Freshman Academic Notice or Academic Probation.
- Academic Good Standing- Any student who meets the retention requirements set forth in this section.
- Freshman Academic Notice- Undergraduate students with 30 or fewer credit hours with a retention GPA of 1.7 to 1.99.
- Academic Notice - Any student in an area of study with higher academic standards whose GPA falls below the retention requirements but remains higher than 2.00.
- Academic Probation - Any student whose retention GPA falls below the retention requirements. Students placed or continued on academic probation must maintain a 2.00 GPA in regularly graded course work (excluding activity or performance courses) for continued enrollment at UCO. Students who raise their retention GPA to meet the retention requirements will be removed from academic probation.
- Academic Suspension - Any student who was on academic probation the previous semester will be suspended from the University if s/he fails to raise his or her retention GPA to the required retention GPA level (retention requirements) or achieve a 2.00 semester GPA in regularly graded course work, not to include activity or performance courses. Students not meeting either of these criteria will be immediately suspended and may not be reinstated until one regular semester (fall or spring) has elapsed.
For continued enrollment as a student in academic good standing at the University of Central Oklahoma, a student must have earned a retention grade point average at or above the following:
Credit Hours Attempted Retention GPA Requirement
*0 through 30 semester hours 1.7
31 or greater semester hours 2.0
*Students with 0-30 semester credit hours with a retention GPA of 1.7 through 1.99 will be considered to be on freshman academic notice.
Students will be removed from academic probation when they have met the minimum requirements above.
At the end of the probationary semester or term, students who continue to fail to make satisfactory progress toward the academic objective, as indicated by the retention requirements, will be suspended for the next regular (fall or spring) semester. Students suspended twice from UCO are not eligible to return until by attendance at another accredited institution, they have raised their retention grade point average to a minimum of 2.0.
For information on suspension, visit the advisement/suspension information page.