The Center at UCO
Women's Research Center and BGLTQ+ Student Center
The Center has two arms, the Women's Research Center and BGLTQ+ Student Center, which work both independently and collaboratively to engage and advance women and the BGLTQ+ community at the University of Central Oklahoma, the greater Oklahoma City metropolitan region and beyond.
The Center serves as a site of information, research, grant funding and advocacy for issues regarding women, gender and sexuality. The Center also acts as a resource for the BGLTQ+ community, a crucial community meeting place and an educational resource.
The Center is located in Thatcher 106 and is open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday.
The Center is a STLR tagged location!
Come and check out the library or just hang out for a while. All are welcome. Some current programs include:
- Support for the interdisciplinary minor and major degree program in women’s, gender and sexuality studies;
- Establishing the Center community library of over 5,000 books, materials and manuscripts dealing with gender and sexuality. Many of these books are rare and most are not found in any library in Oklahoma or the United States;
- Offers periodic free STI testing and HPV vaccines, as well as free condoms for UCO students;
- The Community Closet offers free clothing and other items for students and other members of the community;
- Curriculum to help with sex-positive, research-based sex education in Oklahoma. UCO peer health leaders or sexual health ambassadors visit classes, residence halls and student groups to teach the curriculum to the UCO community;
- Hosts an annual International Gender and Sexuality Studies Conference with more than one hundred presentations every year and dozens of countries represented; and,
- Support student research.