The Center at UCO
Women's Research Center and BGLTQ+ Student Center
The Center has two arms – the Women's Research Center and BGLTQ+ Student Center – which work both independently and collaboratively to engage and advance women and the BGLTQ+ community at the University of Central Oklahoma, the greater Oklahoma City metropolitan region, and beyond.
The Center serves as a site of information, research, grant funding, and advocacy for issues regarding women, gender, and sexuality. The Center also acts as a resource for the BGLTQ+ community, a crucial community meeting place, and an educational resource.
We are located in Thatcher 106. Our hours are Monday-Thursday 9 am-6 pm. We are a STLR tagged location!
Please come and check out our library or just hang out for a while. All are welcome. Some of our current programs include:
- Support for the interdisciplinary minor and Major degree program in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.
- Establishing the Center community library of over 5,000 books, materials, and manuscripts dealing with gender and sexuality. Many of these books are rare and most are not found in any library in Oklahoma or the United States
- Offers periodic free STI testing and HPV vaccines as well as free condoms for our students.
- The Community Clothing Exchange which offers free clothing for our students and other members of the wider community.
- Curriculum to help with sex positive and research-based sex education in Oklahoma. Our peer health leaders or Sexual Health Ambassadors visit classes, residence halls, and student groups to teach this curriculum to the UCO community.
- Hosts an Annual International Gender and Sexuality Studies Conference with over one hundred presentations every year and dozens of countries represented.
- Support Student Research