Powerlifting is the bench press, which is the ultimate test of upper body strength. Competitors must lower the bar to the chest, hold it motionless on the chest and then press it upwards to arms length with locked elbows. The bench press is the only discipline with 10 different categories based on body weight.
The competition is open to all athletes with cerebral palsy, spinal cord injuries, amputees (lower limb amputees only) and others who meet the minimal disability criteria. Athletes must be able to grip the bar with thumb and fingers and be able to extend their arms at the same time.
Feb. 15 & 16 - Level One Training Camp (UCO Wellness Center)
Feb. 16 - USA ParaPowerlifting IPC Competition (UCO Wellness Center)
Feb. 16 - Bart and Nadia Sports and Health Festival IPC Competition
Feb. 17 - World Championships Team Meeting/training camp (UCO Wellness Center)
April 5-11 - Powerlifting World Championships (Dubai, UAE)
May 3 - Regional Competition at the Great Lakes Adult National Championships (Des Plains, Illinois)
May 31 - Regional Competition at the Thunder in the Valley Games (Saginaw, Michigan)
June 6 - National Powerlifting Competition (UCO Endeavor Games) (TBD)
July/August - USA ParaPowerlifting 2nd IPC Competition will be held late July or August (TBD)
There are 2 hours between weigh-in and when lifting starts, but you need to come prepared to wait during this time.
· Weigh In’s
· Equipment Check
· Rack Height (Important so the bar is lifted off in the right position)
· Give opening attempt
· Get ready for competition
· Get in singlet
· Eat Something
· Get focused for the meet
· Warm Up
· Lifting is done in a round system with flights of 6-10 people
· Medals are given based on Male/Female and body weight class
· If a tie, the lighter person wins
Equipment for Powerlifting?
· 100% cotton plain t-shirt
· Wrist wraps (if needed)
· Belt (if needed)
· IPC Passport (if classified)
· *NO gloves or head gear allowed*
What are the steps to take to make a Paralympic Powerlifting Team?
· Start lifting weights
· Train on the Bench Press
· Go to a local or national meet
· Go to a training camp
· Get IPC Classified
· Get IPC Licensing
· Lift at an IPC Powerlifting Meet
· Lift the IPC minimum standards
· Make a international team
· Lift at both World Championships and the Pan American Games
· Females need to be at the top 6 without repeating countries and males need to be in the top 12 without repeating countries.
· Receive an invitation from US Paralympics
Click here for instructions on how to change an able-bodied bench to a nonsanctioned para bench.
Training clinics: Military trainings (Open to Military and with special permission civilians)
Feb. 17 - 18 (at UCO)
June 4 - 5 (at UCO)