OIT - Broncho Blogs Guidelines at the University of Central Oklahoma
UCO Blog Guidelines
Online communication tools such as blogs are recognized by UCO as valuable communication and interaction tools for use in creating community, interaction and facilitating feedback with students, staff, faculty, parents, the community and other UCO stakeholders. The purpose of this guideline is to ensure that this service remains available and reliable, and is used for purposes appropriate to the University's mission.
This guideline applies to all members of the UCO Community who are entitled to use the UCO Blogs services: faculty, staff and students, and other affiliated classes of individuals.
UCO Blogs services are currently provided as an online tool in support of marketing, community outreach, communication, academic enhancement and recruitment efforts at UCO. UCO Blogs will not be created for personal purposes.
Use of blogs must be consistent with UCO's educational goals, as well as comply with the UCO Student Code of Conduct and/or Employee Handbook, as applicable. Content and use of a UCO Blog must adhere to the UCO Technology and Network Usage Policy.
Additionally, all UCO bloggers agree to abide and conduct themselves in accordance with the following:
- I am solely responsible for the content of my blog. The opinions, statements or communications posted within my blog do not represent a statement of UCO's official position or policy.
- I am responsible for the consequences of my actions. I understand the ramifications of libel and I am personally responsible for anything I write or post on my blog that leads to any and all kinds of legal ramifications.
- I hereby give the University of Central Oklahoma permission to remove my blog if I abuse my privileges by presenting postings within my blog that are obscene, offensive or in poor taste, or by violating University policy.
- I hereby give the University of Central Oklahoma permission to remove student replies to my blog postings if those replies contain obscenities, offensive language, are in poor taste or violate University policy.
- In the event that inappropriate content is posted, the content will be immediately removed from the UCO Blog by the appropriate Division or Department, or by the Office of Information Technology Any disciplinary action for inappropriate content will be addressed in accordance with University policy.
No confidential information may be contained in a UCO Blog as per UCO's Disclaimer, Privacy, and Nondiscrimination Statement and the UCO Information Security Policy.
Management of Blogs
- UCO Student Bloggers will use their UCONNECT login name and password. This login will grant the blogger access to the blog software system and blogs to which they have permission to contribute.
- UCO Staff & Faculty Bloggers will use their Windows login name and password. This login will grant the blogger access to the blog software system and blogs to which they have permission to contribute.
- Blog users can not use the blog software to change their password, this is performed inside UCONNECT (Students) or Windows (Staff) only.
- Blog permissions for Student Bloggers will be set in conjunction with the requesting UCO entity.
- Office of Information Technology will function as the Administrator of all blogs with the blog software system, with specific administrative permissions being granted to designated individuals within the requesting UCO entity.
- All blogs designated for use by an individual will use the Blogger's third-party ID in the URL. For example, Buddy Broncho's third-party ID is "bbroncho1" which would result in a blog URL of:
- All blogs designated for use by a UCO Department, Division or College will use the name of that entity, in shortened form (such as an abbreviation or acronym), in the URL. This shortened name will be agreed upon with the requesting entity prior to the creation of the blog. For example, the Jackson College of Graduate Studies and Research might result in a blog URL of:
- If additional blogs are requested by the Department, Division or College, these will be appended to the already existing URL:
- UCO Blogs will allow anonymous comments. However, all comments will be placed in a queue and are held for moderation by the blog owner. An anti-spam application is present in the blog software to screen unwanted "comment spam." In both cases, the blog owner will be notified by email by the blog software to review the comments.
- The blog software allows blog owners to approve or delete comments at their sole discretion.
- UCO Blogs may be archived, retained or remain online even if the blog is no longer in active use.
- UCO Blogs may be periodically purged or removed from the public UCO website if deemed no longer necessary by the appropriate UCO Department or Division.
- Blog owners have the ability to add their own photos and video files.
- Blog owners will have the ability to create their own "blogroll," a collection of links to favorite websites.
- Blog owners will have the ability to embed video and audio files from non-UCO sources that allows such inclusion, for example see YouTube (http://www.youtube.com) or Multiply (http://multiply.com).
- Blog owners may not upload copyrighted or unlicensed media or materials.
Blogs will include the following disclaimer:
Personal Content Notice
DISCLAIMER STATEMENT: The views, opinions, and conclusions expressed in this page are those of the author and not necessarily those of the University of Central Oklahoma (UCO) or its officers and trustees. The content of this page has not been reviewed or approved by the University of Central Oklahoma and the author is solely responsible for its content. It is the policy of the University to abide by and follow federal and state laws. Outbound links, such as third party websites or personal pages of UCO's students, faculty and staff represent individual views and do not necessarily reflect the views and/or policies of the university. The University is not responsible for the content of these pages or any links that you may follow from this server beyond this point. The statements and communications of the bloggers on the University of Central Oklahoma website do not represent a statement of the university's official position or policy. University of Central Oklahoma Disclaimer, Privacy & Nondiscrimination Statement
Links included in this document:
University of Central Oklahoma Disclaimer, Privacy & Nondiscrimination Statement
UCO Information Security Policy
UCO Technology and Network Usage Policy
UCO Student Code of Conduct
UCO Employee Handbook
Broncho Blogs Online Form
Effective Date: 8/27/2009
Approved Date: 8/27/2009
Full HTML Version